Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 18, 2002, 9:41 PM   #1

Default Nikon Coolpix 5000 Question

I purchased the Nikon Coolpix 5000 several months ago and find the amount of menus to be overwhelming. I've read the manual and still find the camera to be somewhat overwhelming.

Does anyone have any suggestions on further reading materials or videos that might help ease the learning curve? Your help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. Awesome website Steve!
jamnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2002, 8:46 PM   #2

Default Coolpix 5000

jamnau

Got mine three weeks ago and feel the same way you do, I was about to post on the subject when I saw yours. Hope we get some answers soon.

Louise Parrish
Louise Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2002, 9:39 PM   #3

Default Nikon 5000 Questions

Nikon created an online interactive user's manual for the Cool pix 5000. I tried it and it really helped. Go to the Nikon coolpix site and look at the 5000's options. I think there's a section with the interactive manual there. This site is also a good place to see what Nikon accessories are available for the various Coolpix cameras. A word of warning, most of the 5000 stuff isn't readily available.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:00 AM   #4

Default Nikon Coolpix 5000 question

wsandman1

Thanks for your reply, I found the manual you mentioned, but it is an exact duplicate of the manual that came with the camera. It is fine and I did learn quite a bit from reading it, but it does not tell me what I want to know - am not sure how to explain this , for instance I took pictures of my cat which were fine, then took pictures of small artifacts (which is basically what I will be doing with this camera), they all look very flat and not too great. I corrected them in Photoshop which made them a little better but!!!

Louise Parrish
Old Jun 20, 2002, 8:02 AM   #5

Default Nikon 5000 Questions

Louise,

Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience. Unfortunately, you will have to get a macro adapter flash accessory or use off camera lighting to help get three dimensions in you close ups. You can have manually adjust your apeture setting manually to experiment with different depths of field. Good thing about a digital is that you can preview the results. Another thing is you will want to pay close attention to are white balance settings, especially if you use non-flash lighting.

I hope this helps. I was waiting to get a little more practice with mine before looking into the Nikon photo school options.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2002, 9:49 AM   #6
Administrator

You'll find an excellent book about the Nikon 5000 at Short Course's Book Store, Dennis has been writing great digicam books for years now. Reasonably priced and loaded with info you won't find in the user manual and much easier to read and retain

Short Courses Book Store

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2002, 11:48 AM   #7

Default Coolpix 5000 question

Thanks both of you, I am ordering the book today, wish me luck. Thanks again.

Louise
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:04 PM   #8

Default CP5000 question

jamnau

I hope you also benefited from this information.

Louise
Old Jun 21, 2002, 2:29 PM   #9

Excellent information! I am planning on ordering the book as well. Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it!
jamnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2002, 11:48 AM   #10

Default Even better resource!

Go and Grab Peter Inova's Ebook! It is 392 pages of different ways to get the most out of the CP5000 and Photoshop! The camera is truly an awesome piece of equipment and you'll find it is very intuitive when you get the hang of the controls...

Everyone that I know, that bought the camera, became more and more impressed with it as time went one! Don't give up yet, you have a truly unique camera that fits needs the others just can't.

http://www.pbase.com/elterrible
elterrible is offline   Reply With Quote