Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:48 PM   #1

well i want to know that is it possible to get faster shutter speeds in 3700 which is a totally point n shoot camera with auto shutter speed.I know that this camera as no manual shutter mode where i can just select the shutter speed to take the action shot.I know for excellent action pics, u need DSLRS.if it is possible inthis camera, then under what circumstances.
second is it possible to acheive low ISO value in sports mode with faster shutter speed upto 1/1000 or more in auto mode or in cameras which support manual shutter options.b/c the cameras which i have used so far whenever i select shutter speed it just simply raise the ISO value to peak.Some even raise it to 400 resulting in a noisy and grainy pics.
Thanks in advance.Urs suggestions are welcomed.
fsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:01 PM   #2
Administrator

A common misconception that you can actually use the fastest available shutter speeds in any lighting condition. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. The camera must leave the shutter open long enough for proper exposure (otherwise, you'll get underexposed images).

The shutter speed a camera can use depends on the amount of light available, the aperture of the lens, and the ISO speed.

Indoors with most compact models, you'll need to use a flash or a tripod (if shooting a stationary subject). Otherwise, the shutter speeds will be too slow to prevent motion blur from camera shake and/or subject movement.

Shutter speed with a flash in low light is not critical. This is because the flash burst is very short. Since the subject is not exposed well enough for proper exposure except for the very short flash duration, the flash itself has the impact of freezing the action in lower light. Of course, you'll need to make sure that the subject is within the flash range. You see the flash range for models in their specifications, listed at both wide angle, and at full zoom, since the lens is most models is brighter at the wide angle end.

For outdoor use, shutter speeds are usually much faster. But, the shutter speed a camera needs for proper exposure is still dependent on the available light, aperture of the lens (with smaller f/stop numbers indicating larger available apertures), and the ISO speed (which controls the sensitivity of the sensor to light).

Most compact cameras are going to have a lens rated at around f/2.8 at wide angle, dropping down to around f/4.9 at full zoom (so, more than twice as much light reaches the sensor at wide angle with most compact models). Some models have brighter lenses, for example the Canon G series models start out at f/2.0 which is twice as bright as f/2.8.

ISO speed is also important for getting faster shutter speeds. Each time you double the ISO speed, a camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast. However, this will have a penalty. Higher ISO speeds cause higher noise levels (similar to film grain).

DSLR models have lower noise as ISO speeds are increased, because of their sensors are much larger with larger photosites for each pixel. So, their sensors generate a stronger signal (requiring less amplification for equivalent ISO sensitivity).

A model's sports mode is usually just selecting the largest available aperture, so that the camera's autoexposure algorithms can use the fastest shutter speeds. In low light (as with typical indoor lighting), most models will already be selecting the largest available aperture anyway, so sports mode won't help anything.

But, in good light, sports mode can help to get faster shutter speeds than normal, because the camera may be selecting a smaller aperture instead without using this mode (but Aperture Priority Mode can accomplish the same thing).

For the fastest shutter speeds in less than optimum lighting, you need a model with a brighter lens (larger available apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers), that is able to use higher ISO speeds with acceptable noise levels.

What are you trying to take photos of requiring faster shutter speeeds, and in what lighting conditions (daylight, indoors, etc.)? If your primary purpose is for outdoor sports in daylight, one of the ultra zoom models may be sufficient from a shutter speed perspective.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 6:17 PM   #3

thanks Jimc for giving me such a valuable information regarding faster shutter speeds and ISO values.Well I used to play a sports that is known to be cricket in streets and clubs in bright daylight time.It is just like baseball.ome person throws the ball and the other person hits the shot with a stick known as bat.
i first purchase an entry level 0.3 MP intel camera ans shot some pics but all of them were out of focus and blurred.I just attached a pic for u.Now our team is playing in a tournament and want to have decent action pics to be posted on our website.
First want to know that will i able to acheive 1/3000 shutter speed on nikon 3700 using sports modes and with auto shutter speeds in bright daylight.
Second,if im also looking at sony W1 which has manual shutter speed,Is it possible that i select 1/1000 shutter speed and get that shutter speed result with correct exposure and less noise.Or it will take more time for corect exposure with shutter speed less than 1/1000.
I just have got one week to purchase a new one if i return nikon 3700 in warranty.
[img][/img]
Attached Images

fsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:55 AM   #4
Administrator

fsc1 wrote:
Quote:
thanks Jimc for giving me such a valuable information regarding faster shutter speeds and ISO values.Well I used to play a sports that is known to be cricket in streets and clubs in bright daylight time.It is just like baseball.ome person throws the ball and the other person hits the shot with a stick known as bat.
i first purchase an entry level 0.3 MP intel camera ans shot some pics but all of them were out of focus and blurred.I just attached a pic for u.Now our team is playing in a tournament and want to have decent action pics to be posted on our website.
I wouldn't classify an Intel .3MP model as an entry levelcamera. ;-)

Quote:
First want to know that will i able to acheive 1/3000 shutter speed on nikon 3700 using sports modes and with auto shutter speeds in bright daylight.
Maybe, in very bright sunlightif you increased the ISO speed (you'd have to try it and see). But, you don't need 1/3000 second.

Quote:
Second,if im also looking at sony W1 which has manual shutter speed,Is it possible that i select 1/1000 shutter speed and get that shutter speed result with correct exposure and less noise.Or it will take more time for corect exposure with shutter speed less than 1/1000.
It all depends on the light, and the amount of zoom you use (which will impact the largest available aperture in these models). You may find that using Manual Exposure is cumbersome with with this model for sports use (because lighting conditions canchangefrequently, requiring adjustment of the parameters to get proper exposure).

Also, you can't just set the shutter speed with the DSC-W1 and expect to get properly exposed images. You have to set both the shutter speed and the aperture (and it's only got two available apertures, with the values changing based on focal length). So, you'd need to set these parameters while pointing at a subject, looking at how they impacted exposure (the camera will let you know via a +-EVscale). Then, if the lighting changed (clouds, subject moved to shadows, subject was at a different angle to the light, etc.), then you'd need to readjust your aperture and shutter speed to insure proper exposure.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote