Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:00 AM   #11

I think the moon shot comparison proposed by CaptRB will be interesting. Unfortunately I can't addto the comparisons.....I got a refund on my 8800 after suffering it's maddening focus limitations and slow performance as correctly pointed out by others in the Nikon forum.

P.S. I bought a Canon G6 and found it to be the perfect non-dSLR complement tomy D70. Less zoom perhaps, but great performance and razor sharp focus. A real dream machine.
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:40 AM   #12

Could you list the 8800camera settings you used for this shot?

Thanks

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:49 PM   #13

With regard to shot quality: It is NOT a great photo, as I said initially. My point was, it was handheld, at full digital zoom, and yet you can make out the various pits on the moon. I think for a first attempt of this sort on my part it was a good shot, and I still am happy with it. Having taken a few tripod shots and getting similar quality I find it hard to beleive just how steady my hands must be, or how 'stellar' (excuse the pun) the VR is.

Camera settings: Shutter priority, 1/60 or 1/125 (various shots taken equally effective at both), ISO 200, VR on, Noise reduction on, full digital zoom.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 7:09 PM   #14

Taking into account the full D I G I T A L zoom, I think it is a decent shot. By the way just how much can you up the zoom digitally on the 8800? Must be considerable looking at the shot. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:16 PM   #15

Digizoom is 4x on 8800, Idisable digizoom and upsize with Photoshop If I need to.

Looking forward to getting the 1.7 zoom add on..
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:15 AM   #16

Agreed CaptRB....your comments were quite black & white (no pun intended) and I didn't find them to be controversial. At any rate, I look forward to a good scientific comparison of the D70 and 8800 and whatever other Nikon's people have.

Steve
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:45 AM   #17

To Capt B and Steve Cz

Here's a great compromise idea. Start a thread called "D70 vs. 8800" and post all of your comments on that one thread. Stay off the other threads where folks are wanting to focus on using their 8800's.

That way, anyone still undecided about which camera to buy can look at your observations, and would spare the rest of us from having to put up with them unless we specifically want to see what (else) you may have to say.

Offered as a friendly suggestion.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 4:36 PM   #18

JakobG wrote:
Quote:
With regard to shot quality: It is NOT a great photo, as I said initially.
I take back what I said.
I was out yesterday and there was a display of some really fantastic photography for sale in frames. All costing over £40 a pop, not huge prints either.

And one of them had a moon, no more and no less detailed than the one you have all witnessed in my first post... I take back what I said, if it is good enough for sales and the discerning eyes of the paying public, it's good enough for me!
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:18 AM   #19

OK, Walter C....your suggestion is a good one, but I think it'll have to be G6 vs 8800 as they are both "prosumer" cameras. Now I have to figure out whether to post under Nikon or Canon. :idea:

Meanwhile, do be open minded about the comments made about theD70vs 8800...I don't think anyone here, including CaptRB, is trying to be obnoxious oroverly-criticalabout the 8800....rather everyone seems interested to stick to scientific comparisons of the two, like a moon shot comparison for example.

And it remains important for the flaws and limitations of any camera to be exposed here, like the balky low light focus and shutter lag of the 8800, so that people can make a well-informed decision if the 8800 is the right camera for them.

Steve

Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:25 PM   #20

Jakob,

If you would pay for a photo as dull and lifeless as the moon-shot posted previously, then I have an old rusty bridge that I'd like you to consider for the low low price of one million euros payable in cash upon delivery.

Honestly,would you pay your hard earned money for such aphoto?

Steve C, Strazeele, France