Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:54 PM   #21

SteveCz wrote:
Quote:
Jakob,

If you would pay for a photo as dull and lifeless as the moon-shot posted previously, then I have an old rusty bridge that I'd like you to consider for the low low price of one million euros payable in cash upon delivery.

Honestly, would you pay your hard earned money for such a photo?

Steve C, Strazeele, France
Maybe I didn't make it clear enough. SOME of the photographs were fantastic. That still didn't make me want to buy any of them, not for that amount of money. My only point was that if someone out there is selling it, then someone must equally be buying it (no demand, no supply). And if I can compare one of my own shots to what's on display in the shops, then I can't complain.
Now, with regard to your comments about buying something as dull as the shot posted, each to his own. I should add that the moon shot that was on sale had been photoshopped (clearly) to have a lovely watery horizon and dark blue sea beneath it. It worked well, but clearly it was originally two separate photos.
When did you ever get the idea of me saying that I would pay for it? Just because the shots were great, I still wouldn't pay for stuff I can do myself.
As for your humour it falls on deaf ears because I was not amused by your sarcasm. One would think that it would be possible to post freely without constantly feeling like you are being attacked but the animosity now left behind by CaptRB's departure from these threads has only reignited with your arrival.

Quote:
rather everyone seems interested to stick to scientific comparisons of the two, like a moon shot comparison for example.
The only people interested in scientific comparisons between the d70 and the 8800 are you and captrb.
I did not post the moon shot in anticipation of people making comparisons to a d70. I posted it in anticipation of people realising the potential that this camera has.

Quote:
And it remains important for the flaws and limitations of any camera to be exposed here...so that people can make a well-informed decision if the 8800 is the right camera for them.
Erm, no... it doesn't. This thread is about a moon shot, plain and simple. Low light focusing has nothing to do with it, shutter lag has nothing to do with it, in fact, no limitations that any camera presents you with has anything to do with my shot of the moon.
The relevant issues that remain important to be exposed have been discussed in plenty of other threads, reviews, forums, websites, telephone calls and canteen debates and I did not post a shot that can in any reasonable way be expected to bring up the subject.

Now I respect that people such as yourself have issues with the camera because it does not perform as you want it, or expected it, and you know what? I don't care. It's been done... to death. I just wanted comments on my moon shot, I got yours and you can now take yourself and your sarcasm and go bury the both in a hole somewhere.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:18 PM   #22

Steve C

I agree with Jacob that your comments were uncalled for and your saracasm was most inappropriate. I also agree that you and Capt B should cease and desist.

Photography is only partly about the machine. It also has to do with having an eye for what is interesting and the ability to frame the shot for maximum impact. Being at the right place at the right time also helps.

Knowing your camera's strengths and limitations is critical. That's why most of us on these 8800 threads are trying to share our experiences and photos with the expectation that others will make constructive observations.

Selling our camera is not a constructive observation. Nor is wishing that we had some other feature found on another camera.

We just want to get the most out of the 8800. If you can stick to that criteria, fine. Otherwise, take Jacob's suggestion and find a hole somewhere.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:40 PM   #23

By the way, folks, I did a little research having to do with the two gents who spend so much time bashing the 8800. I looked on the D70 threads to see how many postings the one guy was making, since he traded his 8800 for a D70. Over the past week he has posted 10 times as many times on 8800 threads as on the Nikon DSLR threads. As far as the other guy, with the Canon G6 is concerned, I couldn't even find a posting of his among those threads.

Makes you wonder what their motives are, and just how interested they are in learning about their own cameras.

I was also struck at how many folks with D70s were bemoaning the fact that they couldn't take indoor sports shots without spending many hundreds of dollars for special lens.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:42 AM   #24

My Sincerest Mumbled Apologies to Jakob and Walter. It was not my intent to "attack" :?or be sarcastic. Honest, I was only commenting about the moon photo posted in this thread which I think is rather mundane and certainly unworthy of a price tag. As for my offer to sell a rusty bridge, it was an admittedlylame attempt at humor that has obviously been taken for sarcasm and rudeness. That was not my intent.

Sorry for the misunderstanding fellows. If you're ever in France, I'd like to buy you guys a beer. Even though France is well noted for it's excellent wine, here in the North of the country there are many good breweries as well.

P.S. is it OK to post other moon photos here? I'd like to take one tonight (if it ain't cloudy as usual) with my G6 for scientificand objective comparison.

SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:35 AM   #25

SteveCz wrote:
Quote:
the moon photo posted in this thread which I think is rather mundane and certainly unworthy of a price tag.
I don't disagree with you on that, but the fact that someone is selling it suggests to me that the shot isn't all that bad after all (detail wise, though I personally have seen much better shots from camera's with extra tele-converter attachments)

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding fellows. If you're ever in France, I'd like to buy you guys a beer. Even though France is well noted for it's excellent wine, here in the North of the country there are many good breweries as well.
Apology accepted, glad we can keep it civilized here, and I'll hold you to that beer, seeing as I live just across the channel

Quote:
P.S. is it OK to post other moon photos here?
Feel free, I like seeing other people's photos as much as I like posting my own.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:44 PM   #26

OK, Jakob and sorry again for being (sometimes) a bit over enthusiastic...next time you take the Eurotunnel to Sangatte, let me know and I'll meet you fora beer.

Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:45 PM   #27

Jakob, will post moon photos as soon as the skies clear. I would imagine that the weather in the UK is about as awful as it is here in Nord-Pas-de-Calais.

Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:26 PM   #28

SteveCz wrote:
Quote:
Jakob, will post moon photos as soon as the skies clear. I would imagine that the weather in the UK is about as awful as it is here in Nord-Pas-de-Calais.

It's usually pretty bad, but currently I wouldn't know as I am in Poland visiting relatives (where it's absolutely freezing, by the way - -8 degrees celcius last night)
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:30 PM   #29

Thanks for the great Idea and the invite! Heavily Cropped 2 MP P&S. I do see some Green fringing.
Attached Images

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:46 PM   #30

Found this outside my window, taken at 40x and crunched a lot to get on here.
Attached Images

skes is offline   Reply With Quote