Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 24, 2004, 5:43 PM   #31

Panzergnome and Skes

Nice shots, guys(?). Could you provide some info regarding settings you used?

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:50 AM   #32

Thanks! To tell you the truth .... Set it on Auto. 1/650 f3.5. Center focus and metering. Tiff.

That 40x shot is magnificent!

Merry Christmas!

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:35 AM   #33

Walter

Thanks, not too bad for my first attempt, i put the pic in Picture Project to get the info, i'm getting rather forgetful in my old age (47) it says..

Nikon COOLPIX8800
2004/12/24 18:52:43
JPEG (8-bit) Extra
Image Size: 3264 x 2448
Color
ConverterLens: None
Focal Length: 356mm
Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
1/113.5 sec - F/5.2
Exposure Comp.: -1.0 EV
Sensitivity: Auto
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-S
Tone Comp: Auto
Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
Digital Zoom Ratio: 4.00
Saturation comp: +1
Sharpening: High
Noise Reduction: OFF

Althought i'm sure i had it on Matrix and not spot metering, i under exposed by a stop to make sure it didn't wash out because it's like trying to photgraph a light bulb :-)better to lighten using Levels in Photoshop than to try get back detail from the highlights me thinks. If we ever see a moon over here again i'll try a different approach next time by using full Optical and then cropping to the same Magnification, see it it does it any better.

Panzergnome

It was your great pic that inspired me to stick my head out of a cold bedroom window tosee what i could do :lol:.

I've been looking at all these great pics from our 8800's, a few of you are lucky to be living in some really nice places, the weather here has just been too poor to take anything decent apart from practice shots, the only decent day we had with blue skys my battery was too flat so when i went off for the day i had to take my other nice camera, my Optio 550.

skes.
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:23 PM   #34

Nikon 8800 moon shot A!
Attached Images

jds4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:31 PM   #35

Nikon 8800 moon shot B!
Attached Images

jds4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:29 PM   #36

Capt RB wrote:
Quote:
*snip(
My comment was in defense of the D70 and in was critical of the photograph. Where was I critical of the camera? Can't anyone read?
Capt RB
But nobody even mentioned anything bad about the D70 until you came along right? And nobody bagged the D70, because nobody even mentioned anything bad about it before. So I don't understand what you mean by your comment was in defense of the D70.

He's got the digital zoom on as well, so that's not too bad at all for a shot with digital zoom. If the digital zoom was turned off, then I bet that the shot would be clear and sharp, especially if a tripod was used.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:38 PM   #37

SteveCz wrote:
Quote:
Jakob,

If you would pay for a photo as dull and lifeless as the moon-shot posted previously, then I have an old rusty bridge that I'd like you to consider for the low low price of one million euros payable in cash upon delivery.

Honestly, would you pay your hard earned money for such a photo?

Steve C, Strazeele, France
SteveCz ... there's no need to say things like that..ie dishing out underhanded blows in the form of words.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:43 PM   #38

With some sharpening, colour adjustments, and reduced size...looks pretty darn good to me.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:08 PM   #39

Exactly RB .. you're beginning to see the light. If you reckon your camera is that good, while the folks that own a 8800 are happy with what they own...then why do you keep persuing the matter when many owners here are happy with what their camera does, and the results that they get? It's all subjective...yes. So if you think your camera is that good...then it's subjective. To me, it's like you just keep gnawing away on some wood until you get what you want...or whatever you want. Actually...what is it that you want anyhow RB?

If we have to teach you what pretty darn good means...then let me teach you RB. It's pretty darn good compared to this this picture attached. Seriously RB, you already gave your opinions about what you thought of the 8800. It's then up to the people to decide what they want to get. So maybe it's a good idea to just give it a rest, because to me...it looks as if you're bagging and dissing anybody that has a camera that's different to yours. Or it seems you're so proud of your camera and love your camera so much that you're just trying to make some statement that you have a D70 and other's don't etc.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:41 PM   #40

Well written, Kenny and Walter. Capt. RB......I thought you had signed off ? I now must say, I wish you would. You probably are too thick headed to realize how your postings sound. I can say they just aren't nice. People post their pictures with pride and pleasure. Why do you offer nothing but repetative criticism ? That doesn't encourage less experienced people to post pictures or ask questions. So please move on to another list. I'm fed up with your style.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote