Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:15 PM   #41

Gents:

Thanks for the really great photos and all the help. I think the worst thing you can do is respond to posts you perceive as negative. Responding/acknowledging is the best way to get a response you don't want. If you stop, it'll stop; I guarantee.

Kenny, could you tell me what you did to the after pic? That's really some difference!
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:31 PM   #42

Definitely panzergnome. I just used photoshop and used the More Blur option, and then I used the noise option on it to add some noise. I think it was the noise pixelate feature.

oops.. UPDATE. Maybe you meant the first picture that I posted. For that one, I just used 'autolevels', then used 'Unsharpen Mask', then made the image size smaller. I think it's not necessary to use the 'autolevels', which changed the colour a bit. So probably better off not to use Autolevel.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:45 PM   #43

I thought of an even better solution. Deleting this forum from my "favourites ".

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:54 PM   #44

Scrubbler

Hey, don't go away. I've appreciated your postings and pix. Let's just do as Panzergnome suggested and not respond to negative postings. Maybe then they'll (he'll) go away.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:44 AM   #45

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
With some sharpening, colour adjustments, and reduced size...looks pretty darn good to me.
Cool! Nice editing Kenny. I posted the shot out of camera as I do with all my shots so people can judge image quality for themselves, but I think you have also shown just how simple a good photo can be made even better. I've found that 'soft' images I have ended up with from the 8800 can still sharpen up really well!

New moon shot using the 'extra detail' black and white mode.
Sharpened using unsharp mask and cropped. Taken at full tele, NO DIGITAL ZOOM, enlarged by resizing the image by 110% 3 times.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:40 AM   #46

That's a really good photo of the moon you just took jacobG. That zoom on that 8800 camera is quite nice indeed. I wish my digicam had that kind of zoom as well. It's a really handy feature alright. Good job on the editing there.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:55 AM   #47

Jakob

Very nice moon shot and retouching. Appreciate you describing what you did. That's what this forum is all about.

Keep it up!

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:17 PM   #48

Here are some low light shots taken with the 8800 and no flash. One was at 37mm and 1 sec. The other was at 77mm and 2 sec. Both shots were in total darkness. No AFproblems at all.
Attached Images

traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:17 PM   #49

Here's the other one.
Attached Images

traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:23 PM   #50

Thanks for the various moon shots. I'm about to buy up from a Coolpix 995 (and 25 years of Nikon SLR) The 8800 is one camera I'm considering. The D70 is another but if I do buy one, I'll try not to be obnoxious.

At any rate, I also have an interest in astronomy. If you own, or a friend owns a telescope, it is quite easy to get good moon shots by simply focusing on the image that comes out of the eyepiece, presumably in macro mode on an 8800. I've even taken not very good shots of Saturn that way with a friend's camera. There are a couple of good articles at skyandtelescope.com on using your digital camera for astrophotography.

(The dedicated astronomical CCD imagers are all cooled to keep down noise.)

PS If anybody wants to give me good advice pro or con the 8800, I would gladly receive it.

Thanks again for the shots.
67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote