Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:12 PM   #51

Dear 67Cup

As you'll see on these 8800 threads there are some choices you have to make, since no camera meets all "druthers". The 8800 is a very good all-around camera with its 10X zoom, VR, swivel LCD, solid build and 8 megapixels. You won't mind taking it on hikes and places that a DSLR might be unwieldy. Yes, it can tend to search for focus in low light and shutter lag may cause you to miss some grab shots. The majority of us seem to be pleased with the 8800, while admitting that we'd like to see those area improved.

It really depends on your particular requirements and photographic interests.

Granted, the D70 is a very good DSLR, especially for the money. But, you could wind up investing twice what you'd spend on the 8800 to get a quality zoom with anti-shake features and other accessories. I know, I've also got a Canon Digital Rebel with about $2,000 worth of lenses, external flash, etc. If you've already got the Nikon lenses then you may want to go with the D70.

In my case I'm definitely keeping the 8800 because I use it for 85 percent of my photography. But, I'm also considering moving up from my Digital Rebel to Canon's new 20D, especially since I've made the investment in lenses. It's also THE DSLR for under $2,000 right now.

I've taken about 4,000 pictures with my 8800, some of which are posted on these threads. I'm very impressed with it.

Let us know what you decide to do, and why.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:18 PM   #52

By the way, I went out with my Canon Digital Rebel to the lake today to take some more pictures of birds. I used a zoom that I'm considering buying, one that does not have anti-shake technology. When I got home I discovered that 90 percent of my 150 shots were slightly out of focus because I couldn't hand-hold the camera steady enough to capture the birds in flight. A tripod wouldn't work in that situation.

Similar shots with the 8800 were amazingly good as you can see elsewhere on this forum. So, if you go with a DSLR and need hand-held action shots at long zoom range, expect to shell out many hundreds on an anti-shake lens.

Walter
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:06 AM   #53

Walter,

Thanks for your helpful comments. They're exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I was partiuclarly interested that you own the Canon but use your 8080 for most of your shots. The remark about the blur on your telephoto shots the other day was very helpful.

My needs are various. These include the usual shots of family and friends. Our son is getting married in June and I would like to take some excellent shots around that occasion. I have taken some quite good portraits over the years with my old SLR and moderate telephoto on a Vivitar 75-205 zoom.

We moved to British Columbia last year and my interest in landscape shots, always strong, has increased now that we live in this gorgeous place. My wife and I try to get out regularly for long walks or short hikes. I want a camera to take along with me to catch some of our wonderful views. With this has come an interest in wildlife photography. A pair of eagles winter near my home, for example. I now definitely want a stronger telephoto than the 4X on the Coolpix 995 to catch the wildlife I see fairly regularly.

The shutter lag on the 995 bothers me. I missed a number of shots the other day of my dog bounding in an unusual snowfall.

I know what you mean about having the camera with you when you need it, set up and ready to go. For years I carried a wonderful little Nikon EM aperture priority SLR that I bought as a grad student when it first came out. (I bought it for the birth of that son who is getting married.) I often didn't take the zoom lens simply because it was inconvenient. I got quite attached to that little unit and flatter myself that I sometimes got shots as good as or better than family members with bigger, more expensive Nikons. When the light meter died on that camera, I bought a used FG body and still shoot with it from time to time.

I think my lenses are too old to use on a DSLR.

I also do like the idea of a camera I could hand to my wife or somebody else not particularly interested in photography and know that they can get good shots too.

So I want a high quality camera that is convenient to carry. It must have a good telephoto. I don't want to struggle up mountains with a huge amount of equipment on my back. SLRs don't faze me, although I don't know anything much about image processing at present. I have a certain fondness for Nikon based on 25 years of use. I have always believed quality is a good long term investment. I am financially comfortable but temperamentally careful about money.

That's about it. Thanks for reading this long post.
67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:55 PM   #54

67Cup

I'm glad that my observations and experiences with the 8800 and Digital Rebel were helpful toward your purchase decision. You certainly live in a beautiful part of the continent, with unlimited photographic opportunities.

From what you've said, I think you might be happier with the all-in-one approach of the 8800. It's not that the D70 isn't also easy to learn and use. It probably is. However, if you want the (perhaps) occasional long zoom capabilities coupled with VR (vibration reduction), you'll probably need to invest in a 2-lens package with the D70, including a zoom with VR. That would probably double what you would pay for the 8800 at the present time.

Just to be safe, tho, I would suggest that you go to a camera store and look at the D70 with a VR zoom lens. You might get "pumped" enough to spend the extra bucks and tote the extra weight. It's a personal thing, after all.

Good luck!

Walter
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:44 PM   #55

67Cup...Hi from a fellow B.C.'er ! Walter has already written a very well thought out view of the 8800, which I would agree with 100%. He has posted many good photos, taken in conditions that nay sayers insist are the 8800's nemesis.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My own conclusions after 6 weeks are that this is a great camera for most of what you anticipate. I walk a lot each day, in all weather, with my dogs, and also wanted a camera that would suit this . I don't want to retreat to my multi lens SLR days. The 8800 is a reasonable camera to carry, but does require conviction, as it isn't pocketable. I balance that by knowing I can take a hand held 10X zoom shot and also a great macro with the same camera. I've read many posts about low light focusing problems, but find it works just fine for me on dark, gloomy days. I find the colour and clarity of shots taken in sunlight absolutely marvelous . I don't know it's the best camera for those wedding days ...unless you are shooting outdoors. I've taken good indoor shots with it and could only find focusing problems in rare circumstances. But I don't think this is an area this camera is great at. I'd say it's more an outdoors persons camera, if that makes sense. The write times have been criticized far too much. It's just not an issue for me, and I'm generally impatient. I think you'll be surprised at how well the vibe reduction works. It is certainly possible to hand hold a full zoom shot at 1/30 sec....I've done it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I did buy a good quality Lowepro bag from Future Shop that holds the camera snuggly, lens down, has an attached rain cover and is well made and padded. It makes a relatively compactloadto carry .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I, too, am a Nikon guy. Always have been. I would seriously consider how much value you put on a "snapshot" camera, as I don't think this is. I still have a little 3MP Kodak that takes easy and good indoor snaps.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"BC is a pretty great place to live. I never tire of the mountains...and don't mind the winter rain. I took some bald eagle pictures on the first day I owned it...I think they may still lurk somewhere on the forum ?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steve (Harrison Hot Springs)
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:46 PM   #56

Hey...where does all this "style background colour" stuff come from ?

Scub
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:58 PM   #57

67Cup...Hi...here's an eagle in the top of a tall tree, taken by the Fraser River . It's a bit soft around the head, but considering it was hand held at 10X zoom and has been cropped a fair bit, I guess it's not bad. I should have set the focus to infinity, rather than letting it focus on the feet. Sorry to those who may have already seen this.

Scub
Attached Images

Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:29 PM   #58

Scubbler,

I'm impressed by that shot! Thanks for reposting it. I wouldn't complain about that focus.

I also own a telescope with a motor driven equatorial mount and I'm still doing my research on the use of digital cameras in astrophotography. But for daylight shooting, most of my photography, the 8080 sounds like a very, very good choice for me.

I'll keep the 995 for snapshots, though it is hardly a pocket camera either.

I was looking at some of your other shots and notice that you live in Harrison Hot Springs or near it. I'm on the campus at UBC right next to Pacific Spirit Park.

The eagles I see here are perched on the top of Douglas Fir snags...a long way from the ground.
67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:47 PM   #59

Scub

You brought up a situation that I don't think has been given much attention thus far when you referred to 67Cup's remark about wedding photos. As I don't own an external flash, which would be needed for indoor shots of longer than 10-12 feet, I can't provide any first-hand experience. Perhaps others can.

I would expect, however, that the 8800 would do fine with an external flash under such conditions -- providing that the room is adequately lit to begin with. Too dim and the auto focus may have some trouble. But, most wedding venues are pretty well lit, anyway.

We have certainly seen some nice indoor portrait photos from the 8800. A little stronger flash for group shots and longer distances should produce equally good results I would think.

Anyone out there have some experience with this?

Walter
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:50 PM   #60

Hi 67Cup. Thanks for your eagle comments. The day I took that shot was fairly clear, but it was early morning and there was not a great deal of light on the bird. I've been hoping for a bright day and bird together...no luck so far. With a lot of light, I'm expecting some amazing wildlife shots when things turn warm.

That shot was at about the height you mention your guys are sitting, so I think the shot at least gives an idea how impressive the 10X zoom is. I really think you'd enjoy the 8800 where you are. But Walter is right, it would be interesting to know how it can perform at a wedding etc. It's not important to me, but I suppose some people will want this ability as a priority.

The other good thing for you is the 2 year Nikon warranty and the Nikon repair depot in Richmond, close to you. I bought mine in London Drugs and bought an extra 2 year extended warranty. I paid $1169.

Steve