Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:53 PM   #61

Here's a shot of the moon I "snapped" out front one evening with the camera just set on "auto". Not great, but not bad considering how sloppy my technique can be (usually after dipping into my homebrewsky).

Scub
Attached Images

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:43 AM   #62

Nice moonpicture guys. This encouraged me to try the same. I have owned the cp8800 for 2 months now and I am very satisfied on an overall basis. low-light focusing on full tele could be better, so could the write speed to memorycard. Except for this, the camera really delivers, and I am satisfied with 9 out 10 picts! Some turns out to be extremely nice.
This moon shot is taken from Shanghai downtown from inside a taxi, through the side-window of the car. It is far from perfect and it is taken handheld on almost full digital zoom, but as this is my first attempt of catching the
moon....ever, I am very pleased.

here are the settings:
DSCN1169.JPG
CAMERA : E8800V1.3
METERING : SPOT
MODE : M
SHUTTER : 1/250sec
APERTURE : F5.8
EXP +/- : 0.0
FOCAL LENGTH : f356.0mm(X4.0)
IMG ADJUST : AUTO
SENSITIVITY : AUTO
WHITEBAL : AUTO
SHARPNESS : NORMAL
DATE : 08.10.2004 04:39
QUALITY : 3264x2448 EXTRA
SATURATION : +2
FOCUS AREA : CENTER

Go Nikon!
Attached Images

sirthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:03 AM   #63

I forgot to mention that the photo was compressed a little with paint shop pro 8.0 in order to fit the size limit for posting.
While I just became a memeber here, I figured I could post a macro shot as well as I remember how much I was looking for reviews and pictures before I bought the camerea.
Here are the settings:
DSCN1221.JPG
CAMERA : E8800V1.3
METERING : MATRIX
MODE : S
SHUTTER : 1/30sec
APERTURE : F5.8
EXP +/- : 0.0
FOCAL LENGTH : f89.0mm(X1.0)
IMG ADJUST : AUTO
SENSITIVITY : AUTO
WHITEBAL : AUTO
SHARPNESS : NORMAL
DATE : 09.10.2004 17:40
QUALITY : 2048x1536 EXTRA
SATURATION : +2
FOCUS AREA : CENTER

The picture was edited/compressed with paint shop pro8.0 (resized to 75%....from 1,68 Mb to 128 Kb)

Go Nikon!
Attached Images

sirthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:02 AM   #64

Scubbler,

Thanks for another good moon shot!

I ought to have been clearer about what I meant by "astrophotography." I meant attaching the camera to the telescope directly so it sits at "prime focus." That is, the telescope becomes the telephoto lens not so much for its magnifaication as for its light gathering capacity. This pretty well has to be done with an SLR. (I did a little bit of it with my old 35 mm, but focusing was almost impossible on anything less bright than the moon with my setup. In theory that ought to be easier with a digital. Focus approximately and take sample shots to check out sharpness.

I know there are threads under the lens ring of the 8080 but I doubt I would want to hang this heavy and this expensive a camera from an attachment threaded onto them! SLR can simply be attached by the bayonet mount.

The big problem with taking the long exposures necessary for deep space astrophotography is noise as the chip heats up. Dedicated imagers have fans to cool off the chip. (Oddly enough, it also paid to keep film cool. Astrophotographers kept their film in the freezer) It appears to be possible to take a series of shorter exposures and then layer them, however.

Between the lights and the weather the west side of Vancouver is not exactly prime astrophotography anyways!
67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:55 PM   #65

What's really interesting is thet the diehard D70 supporters also frequent other forums doing the same thing.

I've owned my 8800 for two weeks now, and am totally thrilled with it. I'm glad I didn't spend an extra $500 for the D70. Here is a closeup of the lower portion of Hamilton's portrait on a $10 bill. How can anything beat the macro on this camera?

http://www.k6az.com/forums/hamilton_closeup.jpg
K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:06 PM   #66

Well, in stock standard configuration, the 8800 shoots from 1.2 inches upwards in macro mode. My nikon 950 shoots from 0.8 inches.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:14 PM   #67

And that .8 inch is more than offset by the fact that the 8800 shoots at 3264x2448. What's the max resolution on the 995?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:31 PM   #68

Yeah....but can your nikon 8800 get down to 0.8 inches when you set your camera to 1024 by 768 resolution? And don't forget that the 950 was first released like 5 or more years ago. Also, don't forget that it doesn't matter what our cameras actually do. As long as it serves each of our purposes, then it's fine. If many folks on these forums can afford things like homes, cars, boats, or whatever, then they can afford any camera and equipment there is on the market today...and tomorrow. It's annoying how owners of one type or one brand of camera needs to make some kind of statement about their camera...like how it's better than others. While the other group does exactly the same thing. That's my point really.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:46 PM   #69

Well, you're quoting Nikon's specs, and I have found that they are not always accurate. I know they weren't with the Nikon 4300 I had.

I agree on people buying what they need. I could have easily bought one of the expensive DSLRs, but I didn't need one and for my needs, the 8800 is perfect. I use it exclusively in my copystand for macro work. I use a 5400 and a 5700 for outdoors.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:29 AM   #70

K6Az : This forums about the CP 9x and the 4300 is very good, because for macrophotography, nikon make the best camera. For my work , I was using for many years, form the 900, 990, 995 and the 4300. All of them work perfect. I you see the

http://www.photoprojects.net/index.html you will get and a idea of wath to do with the CP serie and the G. Rhodes experiments. I got the ringlights and work perfect. the objects touch the glass, the light was all around. YES ! the CP 9x serie is the best for closeup. Carlitin
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote