Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 16, 2004, 1:45 PM   #1

Not great, but I'm happy with my first attempt handheld!!!
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:35 PM   #2

Jakob

Nice moon shot even with the digital zoom engaged. A keeper. That's one of the reasons we like the 8800 -- it's long zoom, all-in-one camera. An instant later you could be taking a wide-angle shot, macro, etc., without changing lenses. The anti-shake feature in a D-SLR would cost a bundle.

Also, thanks for your comments in the wide-tele thread.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:55 PM   #3

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
Jakob

Nice moon shot even with the digital zoom engaged. A keeper. That's one of the reasons we like the 8800 -- it's long zoom, all-in-one camera. An instant later you could be taking a wide-angle shot, macro, etc., without changing lenses. The anti-shake feature in a D-SLR would cost a bundle.

Also, thanks for your comments in the wide-tele thread.

Walter
Hi Walter. Yeah, the all in one package is what made the Nikon the one for me.
Thanks for your comments, and your welcome on the comments in the other thread
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:23 PM   #4

from this shot, it seems that 8800 has really telescopic lens.

the detail of the surface of the moon is so clear.

this shot remined me of really similar picture that was used in astronomy book, i studied in the university, to compare betweena galilleo's drawn picture of the surface of the moon( he was clever) and also you are..

thanx for this clear shot.

i think i'll go for 8800.
a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:32 PM   #5

Excellent Moon Shot...

But nowhere near as good as my outstanding, vastly superior (did I mention we're sleeping together) D70 with the kit lens because...

Hang on a minute... the latest BJP previews the new Nikkor 300mm f2.8 VR... a marginal improvement on the glass in the 8800...

...and very reasonably priced at 4000.00 (US$7725.00).

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:33 PM   #6

JakobG : CONGRATULATION !!! This is the prove , the CP-8800 user can use the camera for all they want . continue, you will get a sorpraise, and you will be happy with yours pic. from Panama, Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:26 PM   #7

Capt RB wrote:
Quote:
Excellent Moon Shot...

But nowhere near as good as my outstanding, vastly superior (did I mention we're sleeping together) D70 with the kit lens because...>>>

In case anyone stumbles across this thread who's trying to decide which camera to buy...NO, that's not a good moon shot, even from a prosumer camera, and NO, the D70 does not require an expensive lens to do better. Shortly I'll take and post a shot taken with a 159.00 Sigma zoom lens HAND HELD. The cost of the D70 with the excellent kit lens and the Sigma is 1159.00, folks.

Standby for results. Hopefully this is a realistic and open minded forum. Based on the e-mails I've recieved, I know at least SOME people are glad that a Nikon forum doesn't have to be a cheering section for every Nikon product.

Moon pic to be posted shortly....and who knows? Maybe I won't do better! Maybe it does take a 4K lens with VR to get a good moon shot....but I doubt it!

Capt RB

Doesn't have to be a cheering section for all Nikon, but also doesn't need to be a constant critique of the 8800....it is getting VERY tiring and boring.
JayEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:27 PM   #8

I agree that the constant one man crusade Vs the 8800 is past boring . So boring I hereby resign my commission in this group. I'll check back at a later date and see if Mr. X has sailed on elsewhere. Take a hint.

PS Good Moon shot !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:39 PM   #9

Jakob did say that his moon shot was taken with full digital. Therefore, we would have to expect something less than normal telephoto without the digital engaged.

My comment was that it was a good shot considering the employment of the digital zoom.

Along comes "you know who" with his all-too-tiresome bashing of the 8800. The rest of us seem to have agreed to share tips and comments that would help us get the most out of our 8800's. What we don't need is someone constantly extolling the virtue of the D70 in these threads.

What's interesting is that he is the ONLY person engaging in this crusade against the 8800. You'd think if it was such a disappointment that we would be seeing scores of postings -- not just the same old tirade by the same can't-take-a-hint fellow.

Yeah, Steve, I share your disgust with the guy's never-ending bashing.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 7:52 AM   #10

Dear All,

To add yet another voice to the debate, I have to agree that the 8800 is a disappointment if one has already used a D70, Digital Rebel or other dSLR. Conversely, if you trade up from an old point and shoot, the 8800 looks like a dream.

Sort of like getting your first dentally-challenged hummer before you finally reach "home base".

Steve C
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote