Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:44 PM   #11

thanx to you steve, it's a great suggestion to put comments only about 8800.

i really liked your photos, aslo Walter's. they all are great.

and the camera also great. i was confusing what camera should i buy, thins forum will make me consnterate on 8800 too much.

keep going of posting 8800 pics or comments. i swear, i'll read them all.

thanx to you Steve.

a8j2
a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:06 PM   #12

Hey...this seems to be working ! It's great to see some pictures and REALLY nice to see people from around the world posting pictures and making comments !

a8j2....nice to know you ! I really hope you buy a Coolpix and post some photos as I'm sure there are some interesting sights where you live.

Carlitin..your photos look great ! Can you tell me what bird that is ...I'm guessing some kind of finch ?

And thanks, Walter C for your interesting variety. I'm really pleased you have travelled with the 8800 and found it acceptable. It's been rainy and dull most days here since I bought my camera and it's refreshing to see your travel shots. Do you know what type of swans those are ? I have a flock of Trumpeters wintering nearby, but they look different.

Anybody else with some photos to share ?

Thanks, Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:13 PM   #13

Here's a shot of the little river behind my house this week. When it rains enough, I can canoe up to the base of our local mountain. There are bears, cougars , beaver, otters, skunk, mink and many varieties of water birds along the river.

Not much colour right now, but Spring starts around February.

Steve
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:23 PM   #14

Here's me heading away from home. My wife took this from the little bridge with our Kodak. I'm much better looking at 8MP !

Steve
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:14 PM   #15

I just got back from seeing the annual arrival of Canadian Pacific Railway's Holiday Train in Agassiz, BC.It has stopped at 50 towns across Canada over the past few weeksand puts on a music show for about half an hour at each stop. There is a band set up in a box car and the musicians and crew stay in some beautiful, vintage CPR pullman type cars. It's quite a sight pulling into a small town with all the lights flashing.

I shot these pictures with the 8800 set on "Night Landscape". I should have brought my unipod (an old ski pole with a threaded bolt on the top ), but shot these hand held. There is a slight blur, but considering the long exposures and my shaky hand, I'm happy. Please note the USA flag on the locomotive !

Steve
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:24 PM   #16

The locomotive.
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:00 PM   #17

I agree with Steve that this thread is most enjoyable, thanks to all you that are sharing photos and experiences with the 8800.

Steve, I don't know what kind of swans they were and, not being able to speak Croatian, I couldn't ask a local.

On the Mediterranean cruise on the Crystal Serenity we had both sunny and grey days. I took the 8800 and an Olympus pocket sized D-50. Wound up using the 8800 nearly all the time.

Here's a shot of a gondola in Venice on a (not unusually) grey day. Was disappointed to note that the guys didn't wear those straw hats with ribbons that you associate with gondola rides. Occasionally one would reach under his seat and put one on just to have a photo made, then quickly remove it.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:10 AM   #18

Lovely swans Walter.

Great shots carlitin, love the macro!

That train looks fantastic Steve, reminds me of coca cola adverts we get over in the UK with a massive convoy of trucks driving through the countryside with coca cola plastered all over them and santa on the back.

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
I've just moved up from 2 simple digitals ( although the digital at my my doctor's was far from simple !) and I'm very impressed with the hand held full zoom ability, what I think are great close ups , the 2 year Canadian warranty and the ability to have one relatively small camera that I can carry without needing a lot of extras. I know several people are getting 8800's from Santy. How about some favourable comments for them ?
Yep, same here. Moved up from a simple point and shoot camera that had no real manual controls. I have to say the number of settings and controls is a bit bewildering - part of the reason I went with a non-slr camera because from what I've seen and read they do require some photoshop manipulation to get the best from the shots, especially on auto settings.

I wanted to be able to expand and grow with my camera, rather than upgrade again further down the line, and I really don't see how any other camera can compare with features on the 8800 at the moment.

The VR is a godsend for me with slightly shakier hands than most, so I don't know how I coped without it. So many more of my shots come out sharp now. Also I'm very impressed with the zoom, as I posted in my previous moon shot thread.

The ability to add filters (even if it is via an adapter) is fantastic, never had the opportunity so I didn't realise the potential for creativity.

The many preset scenes, although I have yet to use them, makes it easy to capture quick candid moments, rather than worrying about settings, but allows for some degree of control over the fully automatic setting. I can't think of any day-to-day situation you are likely to come across that hasn't been covered by the scene modes.

And there aren't many non-slr's currently available that give you bulb mode:

Jakob

Quote:
This thread...is limited to non nautical responders.
Chuckled when I read that.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:10 AM   #19

Sorry... posted twice...
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:02 AM   #20

I'm one of those guys who think I need a different camera for each occasion. I have a Canon DSLR Rebel (with 6 lenses and add-on flash unit), a pocket-size Olympus D-50, and the Nikon Coolpix 8800. Problem is, you need to devote many hours to master the features and unique commands of each camera. Otherwise, you wind up just using the Auto mode most of the time -- which defeats the purpose of having a prosumer camera. Switching from one camera to another often leads to confusion and hesitation, causing you to miss some good shots.

No camera is perfect. There's always some trade-off in terms of size, weight, zoom, shutter response, movie mode, etc., etc. I think the best solution is to pick one camera and master its features and accept its limitations. I've been moving in that direction and now keep the 8800 with me at all times.

I learned this lesson on my Mediterranean 2-week cruise in October. I took over 1,400 shots with the 8800. However, since I had just gotten the camera a week earlier, I resorted to Auto mode. Still, I probably had to toss only about 4 percent of my shots -- usually because Auto mode wouldn't do the job.

The more I learn, and experiment, with the 8800 the better I like it despite its shortcomings.

Here's a shot taken in Dubrovnik, Croatia. Full zoom from atop the wall of the city. Distance was about 200 yards.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote