Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:04 AM   #21

Here's another shot taken in Dubrovnik. We were in a dimly lit old building watching youngsters perform native dances in their beautiful costumes.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:08 AM   #22

By the way, regarding the previous shot (dancers), I had to hold the 8800 over my head -- as I was sitting behind other folks. So, the swivel LCD and the VR features were indispensable for that shot.

Here's one of the suspension bridge in Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Attached Images

Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:01 PM   #23

Dandy Shots of the pier, dancers and bridgeWalter C! The CP8800 is outstanding for fixed or slow moving subject!

Do you have any photos of moving vehicles or racehorses or twitchy birds with your
CP 8800? I'm keenly interested to know its limits for action photography.

Steve C (Strazeele, France)
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:09 PM   #24

Scubbler Steve,

Your canoeing photos are really really good. One thing I observed is that the quality of the photo is very much determined by the quality of the computer that you use to view the photo. For example, the photo you took from the back seat of your canoe looked good but not overwhelming when I saw it at my work computer (an old Toshiba notebook with 13" screen). But when I saw the same photo on my home computer (a Sony A140 with 15" WXGA screen) the photo damn near knocked me off my chair. Nicely done!

It's proof that there are many variables to consider when looking at a digital photo.

Steve C, Strazeele, France
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:47 PM   #25

Hi Steve...hey, there are too many of us Steves around here ! I agree that the computer monitor makes a difference. But, as I don't bother with prints much anymore, it's a big consideration . I just bought a laptop and there is a big difference between the monitor and the LCD screen. One of the unanswered questions I had before moving to 8mp, was whether I could tell the difference on the computer screen. I'd have to say generally "yes". I've reduced and compressed my photos before posting (maybe too much), but the full screen originals are certainly much sharper and vibrant than any others I've seen. Some of the flower shots I've tried are quite remarkable in the amount you can crop and elnlarge without loss of quality.

I've also had my share of disappointing results with the 8800, but I think some are through lack of knowledge. It will take me a while to determine the best settings for each type of shot. I already believe that for some bird shots, I may be better shooting at less zoom and cropping the shot later. I've had so many stunning pictures with the camera so far, that I must say I'm happy. But I also believe in shooting a lot and deleting the debris.

Thanks for your remarks and it's good to see more photos...that's what I like !

Also a Steve, but not The Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:49 PM   #26

JakobG...that Bulb shot is eerie ! I expect some ghostly apparition to appear and teel me to buy a D70 !

Well done !

Steve
Old Dec 20, 2004, 5:27 PM   #27

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
JakobG...that Bulb shot is eerie ! I expect some ghostly apparition to appear and teel me to buy a D70 !

Well done !

Steve
Heehee, thanks for the comment. I'd never used any bulb mode or any type of long exposure shot above 2 seconds before as that was the max allowed by my previous camera. Last night was my first attempt and it came out with some great results.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:24 PM   #28

Steve : I have a sugestion : Tell the 8800 user to give the description and setting of how they take the photo, so everybody can lear very fast, like in the school. and start to be happy with them pics. Is good because I start to see beatifull pics. Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:57 PM   #29

Steve C

Haven't concentrated on fast-moving objects. Not really my thing. However, I did happen to look up this early afternoon while sipping my coffee in my car. Saw the moon, and then a plane moving toward it. I took a shot at full zoom, but the 8800 wouldn't lock onto a focus of the moon. Then I selected Scene mode and Landscape, which puts the camera in infinity focus. Got this shot. I would say the plane was moving at about 250-300 mph and was about five miles away from where I was sitting. Considering the distance, speed of the subject, etc., not to bad a shot.

Attached Images

Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:04 PM   #30

Carlitin...your bird pictures are GREAT ! It's nice to have you post pictures and I think a lot of us are enjoying them.

It may be a very good idea to share your settings when you post as many of us seem to be experimenting , or just plain confused !

At someone else's suggestion, I downloaded a free version of "IrfanView", which allows me to click on a photo and get all the info at exposure time, even the date. I didn't realize all this info was encoded in even my oldest digital images.

You seem to be able to get sharp bird shots, so that at least proves the 8800 isn't a loser !
Steve