Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:13 PM   #41

Hi Carlitin ! What makes people happy are your great photos and your pleasant thoughts ! keep posting your photos ! I'd enjoy seeing some of where you live and your daily life.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:22 PM   #42

Walter..that shot of the plane and moon RULES ( see, I know Young Talk ) ! You have a good eye and don't be so humble ! I've enjoyed all your pictures and I'm sure a lot of other people have too. It's nice to see what this camera can do instead of reading countless negative slams .

Now if I'm correct, that is an Airbus A330 ? I used to work at an Intl. Airport and collected a million photos and could indentify aircraft by sound...but now I'm rusty and just enjoy the rare glimpses. That is a remarkable photograph. Thanks for sharing it.

Steve The Scubbler
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:46 PM   #43

Steve

Thanks for the kind remarks. Regarding the type of plane, you'll note that there were 2 moon shots each with a different type of commercial airliner. Unfortunately, I'm not good at identifying them by make. My thing is cars and, after taking 25,000 pix of automobiles, I'm pretty good at identifying them.

My son is a commercial pilot, but is flying the turbo prop regional planes.

As far as the 8800 is concerned, I can't recall ever using a camera as much as I have this one -- and I've owned dozens of digitals since the mid 90's.

Walter

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:39 PM   #44

Here's a shot I took in Zadar, Croatia during my recent cruise. Like most of the country, Zadar was heavily damaged during the war about 12 years ago. I was in a dimly-lit old church standing about 30 feet away from this statue. About 2/3 zoom.

Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2004, 6:50 AM   #45

Carlitin and Walter, thank you so much for your kind words.

Just bought a tripod, so as soon as it stops raining I'll see if I can get some more decent shots.
swiss_toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:35 PM   #46

OK Walter C, apologies for the use of the word "trick". My mistake (again).

P.S. I'm not a native English speaker so sometimes I goof on word choice.
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:01 AM   #47

Walter...the shot of the statue at Zadar comes through brilliantly here ! As you describe the shot as in low light and 2/3 zoom, I'm baffled at all this talk of focusing problems in low light ! That shot is one of the sharpest I've seen on this computer and I'm sure it must be compresses a lot to post it.

Steve
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:46 AM   #48

Thanks, Steve, I thought it demonstrated the low-light focusing capabilities of the 8800 quite well. Yes, it was compressed about 75 percent.

Couldn't resist sharing this photo (below) A hobby of mine is photographing cars. Until last month all 25,000 shots were taken here in the USA. So, when I went on a Mediterranean cruise last month I was fascinated with the cars I saw in Europe.

This aptly-named Smart car was an example. Here in Texas we drive bigger wheels to haul around our golf clubs on the course -- and we could put one of these in the back of our pickup truck.

Not a particularly noteworthy photo, but I just had to share it.

Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:50 AM   #49

A footnote to the car photo. Obviously the Europeans are Smart-er than us, getting around in such fuel-efficient cars. Of course, after checking gas prices over there and seeing the narrow roads and streets, it makes perfect sense.

An eye-opening visit.

Walter
Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:21 AM   #50

Hi Walter

Great Smart Car pic...

Slightly off subject but here in England they're considered anything but smart... ie rubbish.

This is a Ford Puma I shot with my 8800 yesterday.

Bruce

Attached Images

brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote