Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:27 PM   #71

Just before I got my 8800 I joined this forum and was amazed at the quality of the shots - both in terms of subject matter and the quality of the actual shots now that I have my own - I'm more than pleased with the results I'm getting...:-)

Nadeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:53 PM   #72

I've been more than happy with my 8800 for some time now. However I went to a wild animal park today and had real trouble trying to focus on anything behind bars etc. The autofocus kept locking on the bars whether I used manual area selection or auto. I even tried the manual focus, but didn't have much luck with that either.

But then I looked up and took some shots of some gliders which had been flying around the area all day. So I'm happy again.

Attached Images

swiss_toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:26 PM   #73

Swiss_Toni : I have the same trouble, I start´t thinking that the 8800 have a big compromise with the autofocus and the VR + when the object is darker than the background or maybe when the zone around has not a clear contrast. Because in some pic. the background is very clear. more, when you try to take a pic in closeup, is practical imposible to correct focus if the background is clearer or has more ligth than the object. Ask Walter C. o Steve a opinion about it. By the way, I like the pic with the plane, so with your permision, I will take it for my coleccition. ! Carlitin.
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:00 AM   #74

Hi Swiss T...Beautiful shot of the glider ! That's a keeper ! One great shot makes up for many missed !

I wonder if you could fool the camera when shooting through bars by selecting the "landscape" mode, where it locks at infinity and then keep the lens at the wide angle stop. With 8MP, there should be enough room to crop and enlarge. I think the depth of field at wide angle should be good enough to include most of what you want, especially if there is a lot of light.

Just a theory.

Great photo !
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:54 AM   #75

Great picture!!!

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:52 AM   #76

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
Hi Swiss T...Beautiful shot of the glider ! That's a keeper ! One great shot makes up for many missed !

I wonder if you could fool the camera when shooting through bars by selecting the "landscape" mode, where it locks at infinity and then keep the lens at the wide angle stop. With 8MP, there should be enough room to crop and enlarge. I think the depth of field at wide angle should be good enough to include most of what you want, especially if there is a lot of light.

Just a theory.

Great photo !
An even better method would be to use the hyperfocal distance as your focus point. If you set the camera to it's widest angle, set the focus manually to 10 ft, use aperture priority to set the fstop to f4... everything from 4.5 ft to infinity will be within the depth of fieldwith "acceptable" focus.

A great website that will allow you to calculate the depth of field for most camera/lens combinations is ...

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Note: if you're using the calculator in this website to calculate DOF, you have to use the actual focal length of a digital camera, not the 35 mm equivalent...

hope this helps....

Santos

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:50 PM   #77

Thanks for all your advice. I didn't think I'd have to hold tables of figures in my head to go to the zoo but I'll certainly give it a go.

The problem with Zoo's is that they tend to put the more interesting animals behind bars. I got a few nice shots of some camels, but then they're hardly likely to tear you limb from limb.
swiss_toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:03 PM   #78

Well you never know with Camels if they get the Hump :lol:
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:26 PM   #79

Kenny L

An update on my dead pixel. Nikon emailed me and told me to send it to their service center in Torrance, CA. Looks like I'll be without it for awhile.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:48 PM   #80

Thanks for the kind update Walter C. Glad to hear that they're going to take care of the camera for you. I hope they give you a brand new one in exchange. I'm kind of against that thing which they can sometimes do, such as do some pixel remap thing and then give you back the same camera...in which case, other pixels could get stuck in future...maybe. If there was a serial number on your camera, I'd just note that down, to see if they give you another with different serial. Otherwise, if the replace the CCD, then that would be nice too...but as long as they're honest about replacing the CCD. Anyhow, I think they'll look after you on this one. You'll probably get a new camera or new CCD! Nice.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote