Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:58 PM   #1

Here's an idea to get over the rather unpleasant direction things have gone with respect to the Coolpix 8800. How about some favourable comments ONLY ? I really like the camera and think it is a good blend of some of the primary things I wanted in a digital. I've just moved up from 2 simple digitals ( although the digital at my my doctor's was far from simple !) and I'm very impressed with the hand held full zoom ability, what I think are great close ups , the 2 year Canadian warranty and the ability to have one relatively small camera that I can carry without needing a lot of extras. I know several people are getting 8800's from Santy. How about some favourable comments for them ?

This thread does NOT invite comparisons with DSLR's and is limited to non nautical responders.

Lets see what happens. I like this forum and have found Steve's reviews helpful and, in my mind, unbiased, and would like to return to positive and helpful dialogues.

Sincerely, Steve (not The )
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:08 PM   #2

Here's why you need a filter on a Coolpix ! Spud, 135lbs of stinky mutt, stuck a sand and snot encrusted nose right on the lens the other day ! He's never been to Mexico, but admires the headwear.

Steve
Attached Images

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:24 AM   #3

An indispensable feature of the 8800 is the VR with the long zoom. On a recent cruise I took this shot in Croatia of 2 swans. They were about 40 yards away and I was standing up in a fairly fast moving boat.
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:27 AM   #4

Another great feature of the 8800 (shared with other Coolpix models) is the swivel lens. On our cruise we visited Monte Carlo where we observed the daily changing of the guard at the palace. There was a big crowd, so I had to hold the 8800 above my head, using the swivel lens to frame the shot. The guardsmen were about 30 yards away, so I was also using some zoom. Thanks again for the VR feature.

Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:31 AM   #5

The 10X zoom with VR enables you to get shots you would otherwise miss. Here's a shot of sculptured figures atop a tall domed building in Venice. I was in a moving boat and the building was across the wide main canal. I would estimate the figures were about 80 yards or more away.

Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:34 AM   #6

Hi Steve,

I hope it works:-). we do need a quiet place where we can discuss things without getting our hackles up every 5 minutes.

That's a lovely photo of your dog, he looks a right character.I bet he bowls you over when he hasn't seen you for a little while. My friends dog always does.

I think I said this before, that's Steve's (the) review made my mind up before I bought my CP4500 and You are right,I think he is impartial when he does those.

On to a happy enjoyable forum!!!

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:35 AM   #7

Oops, sorry. I meant -- of course -- the swivel LCD (not lens).
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:41 AM   #8

Hi Walter,

Thanks for those photos, the swans look almost close enough to touch; the changing of the guard makes one feel as if one is standing right next to them ( I wouldn't know what to do without the swivel action of the 4500) and those figures lets you fly next to them.:-)

If that doesn't show the good points of the 8800 then I don't know.

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:16 AM   #9

Hi Steve : I like your pic. I think dog can be happy with the had.!!!. I continue experiment with the 8800. here is a photo with full digital zoom, VR on. Carlitin
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:22 AM   #10

Steve : here is another with full macro, closeup, -1 f. stop, VR-on, no tripo, . Carlitin
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote