Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:51 AM   #1

OK, here goes. A well-informed gent named CaptRB has said that the Nikon 8800 is bested for some types of photography by lower cost cameras and I, for one, agree with him. I say this in the context ofmy main photo subjects....birds, insects and other moving objects. Other disagree and I hope that an objective comparison can be made here.

Here's my opinion. I bought an8800 to complement my D70 dSLR (for those days when I didn't want to lug my dSLR). However,after playing with the 8800 for a few maddening days here in Northern France, where the light isn't very good especially in the winter, I exchanged it for a Canon G6. In my experience, the 8800 had a dreadful time focusing in low light so for those whom low light performance is important, please do take care...you might not be happy forking out a grand for an 8800!

Again my opinion...the G6 focusesvery fast and with incredible consistency and, unlike the 8800, has zero shutter lag after half-pressing. It's performance in this regard is the same as the performance of my D70 and this is a technolgical miracle, really. I bought the 8800 originally because the 10X VR seemed just the thing to "get close to the critters", but in reality I had more photos of birds with their noggins facing the wrong way (or just a branch :shock than anything else (i.e. twitchy bird heads move faster than the 8800 can react). So for my application it was a very big disappointment. My G6 with a telephoto multiplier gave me the best of all worlds.....big zoom, fast & accurate & always-razor-sharp focus and no maddening lag. It is a perfect complement to my D70.

Having said that, there are some drop-dead gorgeous photos posted on the "happy 8800" thread including Venetian gondolas, buildings and one photo of a finch. So maybe our birds are more spastic here in France.:lol:

Seriously, as CaptRB correctly states, it is a very very good idea to carefully consider the application versus the camera BEFORE shelling out the big bucks. I'm lucky, my dealer is reasonable and allowed me to trade in the 8800. Had I bought from a lesser dealer, I'd be stuck with it and probably would have thrown it at a Green Woodpecker by now.:evil:

Does anyone have similar experience or an opionion either way?

Steve
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:19 PM   #2

Agreed Cap-ee-tan, it's much better to get some no-nonsense commentary on a digicam rather than "only the good stuff" opinions. You need tohearabout the good the bad and the ugly all at the same time.

I'm thankful beyond words that I could trade my ill-bought 8800 in on a G6 but it was only due to the tender mercies of an excellent dealer to whom I'll be forever grateful.

As you correctly said, if you use the 8800 only in good light, then it's an outstanding camera....but in many real-lifesituations it just doesn't measure up in my opinion and it's important that this be made obvious to those who are consideringcoughing up the grandthat Nikon charges for the 8800. To give Nikon credit, I love my D70 to death but the 8800 just isn't good value for the money for my applications. Too many tradeoffs and shortcomings under difficult photographic conditions.

Any more opinions out there?

Steve C, Strazeele, France (where it's colder than a ni**le on a witches t*t right now!)

Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:37 PM   #3

OK, never mind. Bad choice of subject, obviously.

Will still try to post some moon photos as soon as the weather clears here.

Steve C, Strazeele, France
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:59 PM   #4

SteveCz wrote:
Quote:
*snip* please do take care...you might not be happy forking out a grand for an 8800!
The 8800 doesn't even cost a grand in USA. It costs around 760 dollars or less. When I first bought my nikon 950 ..now that really was around a grand at the time.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:42 AM   #5

Hi SteveCz:

I've been comparing cameras for a few weeks now, and here are my thoughts on the G6 vs 8800 comparison:

Both will produce excellent pictures, but I'd give a slight edge to the G6 for less noise at iso settings above 100. If you don't need the long zoom range and VR of the 8800, then the G6 is probably a better choice. Ididn't findthe AF speed and shutter response to be significantly different. One shortcoming with the G6 is that the LCD screen is very dim in bright daylight, and since I always use the LCD for composing my pictures, it's a serious shortcoming for me.... it may not bother you as much.

The optical viewer on the G6 has lots of parallax error. It's ok for landscapes, but not really suitable for macro.

If the G6 meets your needs, I think you'll be very happy with it...

regards...Santos

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:28 AM   #6

Santos,

Thanks for your thoughts on the G6. So far, we have comparable experience including the somewhat lacking LCD performance in strong sunlight. But it's better than the last digicam that Iowned (a CoolPix4500).

At any rate, we don't get much sun here in Northern France (especially in the winter), but I'm off to the Middle East soon and will see how it performs in really strong sunlight.

Steve C (Strazeele, France)
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:31 AM   #7

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
The 8800 doesn't even cost a grand in USA. It costs around 760 dollars or less. When I first bought my nikon 950 ..now that really was around a grand at the time.
OK Ken...sounds like you got a good deal on your 8800. Ritz and others still have it posted for a penny short of a grand. Perhaps you could tell all where you got your price of $760.

Steve
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:38 AM   #8

Hi there Steve... I found the price at profeel.com

eg.. http://www.profeel.com/coolpix8800.htm

profeel, in my opinion is probably the most trusted online site out there, maybe matched in reliability to say 17th street photo maybe. That's where I bought my canon camera from (at profeel). The epinions reviews really says it all for them.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:42 PM   #9

I looked at the G6 before buying the 8800. It's a nice camera, but didn't offer much that my Kodak didn't already do. The big zoom on the 8800 sold me. I don't get the 8800 low light issue. It rains a lot here in the winter and is gloomy, but my camera seems to work well in my judgement. I doubt anyone else could care less at my photographic expertise, but I've been around a long time and know a decent picture. I like the smaller size of the G6, but that is because it doesn't have the Big Gun. It was $269 less than the 8800. 2 good cameras, but the Nikon impressed me and still does. For $899 Cdn., I'd buy a $500 5mp Sony and pocket the extra the G6 costs.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:31 PM   #10

I have the nikon 950 and it doesn't do too well like at night times and indoors. Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of nikon picture quality. A huge fan. But since my friend's canon s40 took some awesome pictures in quite low light (indoors), I thought I'd give canon a try. The indoor performance of the G6 I bought is pretty good as I found, so I'm happy with that. I'm not happy about the excessive red eye though (from the built-in flash of the G6).