Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:26 PM   #21

OkieBirdNerd

That's a pretty intimidating look on your cat. Don't think I'd leave him (her?) near any of those birds you are trying to capture.

Looks like you're figuring a few things out with the 8800. It definitely takes time and experimentation, like any camera that is more than a point-and-shoot. Nice shot of the tree.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:59 AM   #22

There is nothing my cat would love more than to get at a bird. But she hasn't ever been outside since she is declawed. She drives me nuts playing under the tree At least she hasn't tried to climb it

The weather has turned bitter cold here in OK and it is starting to snow...I was wanting to see the sun so I can practice different settings on the 8800...guess I'll just have to be content on watching the birds in the yard.

Last year I added a birdcam to my yard...I get some pretty good birds in my wooded yard.I don't have sparrows starlings or grackles..here's a link http://www.okiebirdcam.com
okiebirdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:40 AM   #23

OkieBirdNerd

Thanks for the link to your website. Wow! I didn't realize there were that many varieties of birds, and I'm sure that doesn't begin to cover them all. Very informative.

By the way, I'm a fellow Okie by birth (Duncan), now living a little South of you in the Dallas area. After 70 degrees yesterday we're expecting snow today. Thanks for sending down the cold, messy weather. Oh, well, at least we may have a white Christmas.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:21 PM   #24

Okiebirdnerd : BEAUTIFULL !!! pics. With your WEBlink I will learn a lot about birds. By de way, can yoy tell me if you know the name of t this bird ?? I get this morning with the 8800.This is the male, bacause the female has dark nouse, Steve,ask me for other pic. and I donĀ“t know. Continue with your 8800. Will take time, With the BP 8700 I has before, I took few month to learn the menu. Carlitin
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:04 PM   #25

Okiebirdnerd : You have beautifull christmast tree at home. To get the lights, try with uper dial of the camera, Scene Mode ------- Menu ------ Party/Indoor . atnight. page 27 of the user guide book. and your will see !!. Carlitin
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:55 PM   #26

Hi Walter, Duncan is a nice area.I go birding at the Wichita mountainsoften which isn't too terribly far from Duncan.My brother lives in Coppell TX. He's picking up a 2 gb micro-drive at Fry'sfor me (located in the Dallas area)..I can't go to Dallas without going to Fry's..I just love that place Anyway, he's bringing it Christmas eve..I hope the roads don't get slick, making driving conditions hazardous. Have a great safe holiday!
Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:04 PM   #27

Thank you for the hints on taking indoor pix. That will be my next project.

Did your batteries from the 8700 work with the 8800? I only have the one battery that came with the camera and would like an extra since it takes 2 1/2 hours to charge.

What a wonderful shot of a bird I've never seen. And I assume since it isn't in any of my field guides that you aren't in the US. What country are you in? You are fortunate to have such a lovely bird in your yard.

Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:13 PM   #28

Okiebirdnerd : Sorry Okie. but remember thath in this time, Tropical contry like Panama, has a lot of birds, because theyrun away fromthe CoolNorth and come to the warm weather. Look at your Map, try to see Panama (Canal Zone). As I tould you , your can take good Christmas tree photo, experiment with the setting and Scenes. Here are some I tooke this night. Ther first is Scene-----Party Indoor, VR on or with tripo. You can use Night Portraint,and your see, will have more light. The second one is with " P ", no flash, try to change + or - Exposure Compensation to see the best for you. is good to use tripo and the ML-L3 remote control. I hope this can help you and give some idea. And Marry Christmas for all of you 8800 user. Carlitin
Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:59 PM   #29

Okiebirdnerd : This is the second one. You can see the diferense. The 8700 batteries are diferent ( all in the 8800 are diferent than the 8700. so , I need to sell everything and start again.). Carlitin
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:43 PM   #30

I just love your tree!! I used the party setting and was able to get the lights to show up. Thanks for your help....here's my tree
Attached Images