Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:57 AM   #11

Ever considered that many fellow posters here aren't pros like you RB? YouR virtual 'ban' that you made up yourself seems kind of childish to me. The reason why your post got deleted is probably because it appears that you're not using enough diplomacy in your posts. It appears that you're not respecting the people that are using the 8800 camera, and you keep telling everybody that your D70 is much better. But you don't realise that it's not going to change anything, because it's obvious that many people here find the 8800 very satisfactory for their purposes.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:43 AM   #12

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
There is certainly nothing wrong or unwelcome about critical observations. We all want to know what the limitations and "weaknesses" are, as would be the case with any other camera. The goal should be to see if there are any "work-arounds" that someone has found.
There is something worth considering in RB's (despite the neg. slant on the 8800) comments. I have firsthand knowledge of what it's like to work around a camera's short comings. There are a lot of really likeable, desireable qualities built into my 7i. But the tricks I have to pull to get that thing to focus in some conditions, is really a skill I wish I hadn't hadto develope. The 8800 may fall short in the focus dept, in some conditions. But I'm not convinced it's anywhere near as bad as some situations I've learned to overcome with the 7i. There is merit in working around a problem when you come across one. When I finally get to the point of making my choice for next camera, I will be mindful of what I see here. The prospects of owning a camera with the deluxe options on the 8800 will truly be an incentive to learn all the ins and outs that come with mastering this camera. I can forgive a learning curve if the results justify it, and the overall package is good enough. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:25 AM   #13

Capt RB wrote:
Quote:
<snip> ....hated my G2...and still think my 2MP ultra tiny Sony U30 was amazing! The Canon G2 was awful and I practically got shot when I complained about it's bad focus problems in forums. A couple of years later and everyone now calls the G2 AF system "brain dead." Buyer's remorse and truth take a while to meet on the graph it would seem.

Capt RB
I disagreewith your comments on the G2. While it's AF may not be as good as current cameras, I've taken thousands of pictures with it over the past three years, and I'd say that well over 99.9% were properly focused with correct exposure. And since I happen to have my G2 right here, I just took a few casual shots around my very dimly lithome office... I'm getting exposure times of 1/6 to 1/20 second at F2.0, and focus confirmation was obtained in about 1/2 second. The attached photo is a small globe, exposure was 1/6 second at f3.0 at full telephoto.... light was mixed window and overhead incandescentt ... I used a tripod.... focus lock took about 1/2 sec. Jpeg compression in the camera was set to highest quality, but for the attached pic, I had to set the jpeg compression in APS fairlyagressivelyto get the file size down to what this site will accept. Not exactly a photo masterpiece, but it shows what the G2 can do...

cheers...Santos

Attached Images

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:52 AM   #14

Capt RB wrote:
Quote:
*snip*
Kenneth, keep in mind that no learning curve can overcome ALL of a camera's faults. Things like shutter lag will always ruin shots at times.
*snip*

Capt RB
RB .. do you understand the words 'not everybody is a PRO like you, and not everybody cares about shooting things at high speeds?'. My nikon 950 does not do too well in low light, yet I paid around a grand for it when it was new. I still like it a lot because it takes good quality pictures when there's adequate lighting. My camera has shutter lag, but it doesn't bother me. I still managed to take this, with the car going at very high speed..using my nikon 950. The firmware update allowed me to snap things a lot better, and I have an ability to time things after I get used to it. This picture has been reduced in size, to meet the 250 kb limit. Notice how cool the 950's picture is RB? It's not even cropped.
Attached Images

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote