Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:56 PM   #1

Here's my take on this constantly recurring issue. In low light, the camera is limited in it's choice of aperture and shutter speed. To reduce the chance of camera shake, you would select a higher shutter speed, but get a wide aperture and not much depth of field. If you opt for a smaller aperture and more depth of field, you get a slower shutter speed and more chance for a blurred shot. Either way you are compromising for the lack of light. If your subject is alive (a bird), you must factor in subject movement. If you choose to zoom to 10X , your depth of field takes a whack and the chance of camera movement increases. You may also be aiming at a bird surrounded by branches etc, providing other targets for the camera to select for focusing.

All the above combined seems to me to be the recipe for a blurred or out of focus shot. But that seems to me to be the laws of physics, not a fault in the camera. I've taken a few max zoom bird shots in low light and was surprised at how GOOD they were ! Not perfect, but then I'm too lazy to haul a tripod or unipod that would certainly help.

As for the camera not focusing indoors...the focus assist is only meant to work up to about 4.5 ft, so beefing about it over a 20' room is silly. I've found that almost any usual household light level produces good pictures.

But I'm not expecting perfection, just a versatile, carryable camera that can perform at some extreme limits, even if not always at every lighting condition.

Please post your opinions, but let's not start the D70 thing again.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:08 PM   #2

Hey..what's up ? Are my thoughts so dumb..or boring, nobody wants to respond ?

Hmmm...back into the homebrew !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:20 PM   #3

Hi Steve. A good review of focus and the issues! Thanks. I have been pleased with the results myself going on 2 months. I use center focus and multi-spot or spot metering to try to get the most out of the camera. Here is one hand-held 10x shot ... really cropped. I didn't think I would get anything useful at all. I love the expression...and I didn't really know the claws were so long...
http://mishuna.image.pbase.com/u8/jo....DSCN1719b.jpg
John_I in Toronto
http://www.pbase.com/johnizat
John_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:29 PM   #4

Very worthwhile browsing through those pictures, John. Nice choice, good variety, great shots. Very enjoyable viewing. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:56 PM   #5

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Very worthwhile browsing through those pictures, John. Nice choice, good variety, great shots. Very enjoyable viewing. Best regards,

KennethD
Thanks Kenneth. Most of the earlier ones were posted to help answer questions as I bought the camera on the first day of availability in Canada. Just happened to call the day they arrived. I was able to do a side-by-side with the FZ20 as that was my original choice due to a friend's success with the FZ10. I am really in a steep learning curve as I basically just got back into photography after many years away. I got hooked on the "snaps" I could take with a 10x Toshiba that I got at a good price a few months before. I soon saw the potential of a more flexible camera with better resolution and more features. Now, there's the whole challenging (& fun) of post-processing! I never did any dark-room work and envied those who did. Now I can just jump in!
John_I in Toronto
http://www.pbase.com/johnizat
John_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:30 PM   #6

John

The squirrel shot would be a tough one for most any camera at full zoom as there were the limbs, tree trunk competing for focus. Nice shot.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:50 PM   #7

There is certainly nothing wrong or unwelcome about critical observations. We all want to know what the limitations and "weaknesses" are, as would be the case with any other camera. The goal should be to see if there are any "work-arounds" that someone has found.

As I have mentioned in another thread, the 8800 requires that the owner approach the learning curve with patience, since there is much to digest in order to get the most out of the camera.

What ISN'T helpful is having someone post the features of another camera. No one questions the fact that one camera may do a better job in a specific area. So what? We 8800 owners are interested in what our own cameras can do.

Interestingly, those who have posted the most criticisms of the 8800 apparantly returned their cameras within a short time, in exchange for something else. Did they really spend enough time learning all the features? One wonders. But, after exchanging their 8800's they have chosen to post scores of negative comments, mostly comparing the camera with others.

Instead of providing helpful posts, they seem to want us to feel stupid about our choice of camera and follow their example. That simply is a waste of everyone's time. I have suggested to them that they would be better served by spending more time on the sites that focus on their alternate choice cameras which, by the way, they hadn't been doing nearly as much as bashing the 8800.

Enough said.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:33 PM   #8

John_I : GOOD WEBpage : I will start to exam all this pic.tolearn. thanks. Can any one now daubt about how good the 8800 can be ????. And in the future will be better. Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:58 PM   #9

Hi Steve : I was reading your point, and I liked. Will start to get photos from this way and make some comparations to see wath hapen. Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:03 PM   #10

Yo Walt, just so you know, I spent weeks (frustrating weeks) with my 8800 before I returned it. Who knows, maybe mine was a 6 sigma lemon that was missed by Nikon's QC engineers.

And it was only my intention to point out that one should look carefully before taking a thousand dollar leap, that's all. Let's leave it at that, shall we? Or let's discuss it over the beer that I owe you? :?

P.S. I'm going to take & post some moon photos when the weather clears. Am looking forward to your opinion.....

Steve C, Strazeele, France
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote