Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:59 PM   #1

In general, is there a noticeable difference when saving images in NORMAL vs Fine image quality settings with the 8800? Thanks, JD Smith
jds4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:06 AM   #2

Looking at the picture on the monitor, the picture is resized. It is very difficult to see any difference at all. Looking at the picture printed is a different story. In general, use the highest quality setting. For the 8800, there is a new quality setting (normally there are 3, but this model has 4). This new setting actually doesn't gain much besides a large file size.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:47 PM   #3

I shared your confusion. I couldn't see an obvious difference. But the Extra setting takes quite a bit more time to write to the memory card. But if you blow your image up a lot at home, you can see the extra detail that is provided by the higher setting. My conclusion is to leave my Coolpix on the Extra setting and wait for it to write. I'm an impatient person and the exercise in waiting is worth the ability to crop and enlarge later.

It's a good question. One I'm sure most new buyers will ask.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:29 PM   #4

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
I shared your confusion. I couldn't see an obvious difference. But the Extra setting takes quite a bit more time to write to the memory card. But if you blow your image up a lot at home, you can see the extra detail that is provided by the higher setting. My conclusion is to leave my Coolpix on the Extra setting and wait for it to write. I'm an impatient person and the exercise in waiting is worth the ability to crop and enlarge later.

It's a good question. One I'm sure most new buyers will ask.

Steve
Steve and all. I agree and also leave mine set at the highest setting as I do use the zoom quite a bit and need the ability to crop down. This flexibility is one of the reasons I chose 8800 over the Panasonic FZ20. BTW. Today is the winter solstice ...yay! Now the days are going to get longer and light levels better...and in few months warmer. Much better suited to me..maybe I should move to FL, CA or AUS :-)
John_I in Toronto.
http://www.pbase.com
John_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:52 PM   #5

Here is some info I wrote earlier: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=21

The "extra" mode is really questionable and it definately doesn't come from the Nikon engineering team. It is a marketing thing.

Instead of switching off color subsampling to gain higher quality, the Q level is set to the max (Q=100) when saving the JPEG in the camera.

In general the difference in file size between Q level 95 and 100 is huge
but doesn't scale to the gain in image quality. A Q level of 95 is the optimal value which is achieved by the "fine" setting. Nikon states a 1:2 compression for "extra" which is defined as the estimated ratio between the compressed file size and the uncompressed size. The "fine" setting is 1:4, so the "extra" has an estimated double file size.

I can only recommend shooting in Raw if quality is at premium and use "fine" for the convenient JPEG format.

Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:36 PM   #6

Hi Jurgen. Thanks for the explanation ! It went so far over my simple head that I can't see it with 10X zoom ! But I'll bow to your knowledge and just set my camera back to "Fine". I guess there is no point waiting for the longer write time if there is no quality advantage (?).

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:09 AM   #7

Here's a caparison of the 3 images of the schoolhouse taken from Steve's site;image hasbeen resized by 50% to fit within this forum requirements.

Viewing this small area doesn't show that much difference between them but when viewed overall the detail, particularly in the hedge, is far better on the NEF image - as you would expect.

The CP8800 NEF image is possibly better thanthe D70 Jpeg image.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote