Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 22, 2004, 6:10 PM   #11

Steve

Yes, it does look better. That's the nice thing about post-processing of digital photos.

Even better would have been for me to use some appropriate in camera settings when I took the shots.

Thanks.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 6:59 PM   #12

Hey..don't call me Scrubbler or she'll have me on all fours cleaning dog footprints off the lino !

It was sunny here today. There was a strange ball of light in the sky and then I remembered it is called The Sun ! So out came my Coolpix, all proud with it's 1.4 firmware and we all went walkies. After so many gloomy day photos, I was stunned by the colour and clarity the camera produces on a bright day. I'll attach a photo.

Steve The Scubbler
Attached Images

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:05 PM   #13

This morning, before the clouds broke.

Steve
Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:43 PM   #14

Scubbler

Very nice shots. Hope the dogs weren't looking to jump in. Brrr! Nice composition. Do you recall the settings, or were they taken with auto settings?

Walter
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:41 PM   #15

Hi Walter ! The dogs are smart enough to not jump, but they did see a very large mink below on the bank one day, and always look for him. The opposite shore is also swan and eagle land and they watch for them and whine when they come in sight. All rather amusing !

Now settings ! I'm rather embarrassed to admit I keep coming back to using full auto ! It seems to be working quite well. The only problem I have had is with eagles high in the trees. I keep getting the focus on foreground branches and never think to select "landscapes" and lock in to infinity. I will probably stay on auto unless I have a moving subject etc. I did buy the camera with the intention of fiddling a lot, but find all the possibilities overwhelming when I'm out walking.

Your posted photos have had a variety of situations and I'm quite impressed at the camera's flexibility when travelling. I'm looking forward to Spring when we will start to move around a bit more. It's nice here, but even the best of scenery can become usual.

I'm SO glad you loaded that 1.4 update and said so ! If you hadn't, I'd still be here worrying about whether to try again.

Regards, Steve
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:47 PM   #16

Here's an eagle shot I took today. It was very high in the tree with not much light. I've cropped quite a bit to get this image, but as you can see it's not quite sharp. I think if I catch these birds on a bright day, I'll get some decent ones. And I still need to remember to select "landscape" and lock into infinity.

I'm still impressed that I can even get this at such a distance and without a tripod. But I hope to do better..just need light and a bird that doesn't mind whining dogs under it !

Steve
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:58 PM   #17

Steve : Good pic. I think the dogs are enyoing the landscape as us, all around is beautifull, here in Panama has not this type of lands , so, we can see the others contrys like National Geographyc . I live in Panama city, near to the Pacific Ocean, I will send some pics from here. Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 5:01 AM   #18

1st, i want to thank you guys for posting your experiences with 8800.

your posts are raly helpful.

Walter C, your photos of Alcatraz are great. i liked them so much.

also you Steve, you took a very nice photo of that falcon.

you both think that your photos can be better if you just made some changes in the settings, i agree, but if i took picturs like you both did, i'll consider myself TALENTED.

best regards....a8j2.

a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:02 AM   #19

Jeddah

Thanks for the kind remarks. They are encouraging to me, as I am excited about exploring the features of the 8800.

How about some shots from Saudi Arabia?

Walter
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:41 PM   #20

hi walter C,

i really appreciated you reply.

about posting photos (from Saudi Arabia), i really cannot now, cause i don't have a nice digital camera ( i have a sony camcoder pc105 with 1MP, i use it mostly in video recording it's amaizng in this part honestly not in photography).

i'm waiting for cp8800 to reach our markets (by the way,i changed my choice from D70 to 8800 cause of you guys)

i went to many distributers shops, asking about 8800, they said it will be available in middle of Jan. 2005.

so at the end of january, i promise to fill the forum with my home country photos.

a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote