Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:03 AM   #1

Please help. In MOST situations, is MATRIX metering really the best? Or, for best results, should metering be adjusted depending upon shooting conditions? Example, which metering method is best for indoor shots, outdoor daytime shots, outdoor night shots, action shots etc? I am an 8800 newbie and have been using the MATRIX method exclusively for ALL situations. Am I missing out on anything? Thanks, JD Smith
jds4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:14 AM   #2

Hi jds:

If you had to pick just one metering mode and leave it on that, you'll get the highest percentage of accurate exposures with matrix.

Matrix metering works really well for scenes that are reasonably uniform in brightness. When you have extremes in the picture, like say a person standing in snow on a sunny day, the camera is incapable of recording the entire range andhas to decide which part of the picture to favour. Depending on the size of the figure, the camera may favour the figure and give you pure white for snow with no detail, i.e. blown out hightlights, or it may favour the snow and give you snow with some detail but with the figure underexposed, i.e. no shadow detail. In the worst case, the camera may try to average the exposure and give you both blown out highlights and dark shadows. An example of the opposite lightingis a stage play where the actors are brightly lit, but most of the stage is dark.

You can easily adjust this while still in matrix mode by using the +/- EV options after viewing the image on the LCD and taking another picture. You can decide whether to favour the highlights or shadows.

If you wanted to be more precise, you couldswitch tospot metering and decide for yourself which part of the scene you want to expose for.

Before you take any really important pictures, like say that vacation of a lifetime, I suggest you test your camera under a number of different situations using the different scene modes, white balancesettings,andmetering options to see how they impact the images. This will help you become more familiar with your camera.

And don't worry, it may sound daunting now, butit will become easier andmore intuitive to youthe more you use yourcamera and evaluate your images.

Hope this helps...

cheers....Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:32 PM   #3

Thanks Santos! JD Smith
jds4100 is offline   Reply With Quote