Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 1, 2002, 9:57 AM   #1

Default Help with Telephoto lenses on 5700 !!

I bought the nikon tc-e15ed telepho lens and every picture is a blur. I have the user 1 set to telephoto, what am doing wrong?
blkhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2002, 8:58 PM   #2

At 420mm, you usually need to maintain at least 1/500 shutter speed to prevent blur from hand shake. Most folks mount long telephotos on some sort of tripod or monopod support (or put your elbows on a railing, etc). This is especially true if you're shooting at lower ISO speeds. Find some sort of support. Handholding is really only possible for long-telephotos with some sort of image-stabilization system. I've been shooting for years with an 80-200/2.8 and at ISO100/200, I've ALWAYS made sure to have been supporting the lens/camera...
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2002, 10:11 AM   #3

even at 38mm i got blurry pics, so, at 420, there is no hope !
ImageVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 3:54 PM   #4

Default You're kidding right?

I hope that's a joke - otherwise, you could always take up stamp-collecting as an alternate hobby. :lol:
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 12:27 PM   #5

if you're holding the camera in front of you while trying to view the monitor, you will get a fuzzy pic with a lens that large. it's about the size of my 80-280 Sigma zoom lens that i shot with quite often without any problems. use the EVF. my photo class professor's advice to us when shooting without a tripod was to keep both elbows tucked close to the body and widen the stance on your legs. also supporting the lens with the left hand helps a great deal. hope this helps.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:31 AM   #6

bought monopod, still about 50% of pictures appear to have a small blur. moving or action pictures...........forget it.
blkhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:37 AM   #7

put the camera without the telephoto lens on a regular 3 legged tripod. focus as accurately as possible and shoot a pic.

if it's still blurry. then the problem is with the camera.
return it and have it repaired.

put the camera with the telephoto lens on a regular 3 legged tripod. focus as accurately as possible and shoot a pic.

if it's still blurry. then the problem is with the lens. return it and have it repaired.

if it's sharp as a tack, we can't help you on hand held/monopod shots. those who permanently shake should shoot with a regular 3 legged tripod.

hope this helps.