Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:32 PM   #1

Hello,

just bought a Sigma EF-500 DG Super with NA-iTTL for the Coolpix 8800. In the Coolpix 8800 manual it says iTTL is supported. I thought this might be a good combination but it seems iTTL doesn't work because all of the pictures are to bright. I also don't see a pre-flash.

Sigma hasn't answered on my email yet.
Perhaps someone can help me out by telling me they simply don't work together
I'm confused cause this is my first camera in this price class I use a flash with.

Regards,

Marcus
sling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:59 AM   #2

I don't know for sure, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that whilst it does support iTTL, the 8800 is only FULLY FUNCTIONAL with the nikon sb600 and sb800 speedlights, amongst other things iTTL support. I may be wrong, in which case I hope someone will correct me, but I doubt it.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:22 AM   #3

Sling: The manual states that you could damage your camera using a non-Nikon flash. The flash needs to be the right voltage. However, if an aftermarket companies develops a flash for the 8700/8800 then it should be OK. Did you go into the menu and change the flash options? It sound slike the flash is firing? Maybe you have the wrong settings.Is there an auto option? Also, is there an assist lamp for focusing?
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:55 AM   #4

traderfjp wrote:
Quote:
Sling: The manual states that you could damage your camera using a non-Nikon flash. The flash needs to be the right voltage. However, if an aftermarket companies develops a flash for the 8700/8800 then it should be OK. Did you go into the menu and change the flash options? It sound slike the flash is firing? Maybe you have the wrong settings. Is there an auto option? Also, is there an assist lamp for focusing?
I tried everything to get ittl running.
They are different modes but none of them worked
The flash "works" fine with the 8800 except ittl.
You can hear the zommhead, all the information given by the camera is shown on the flashs display.
The Nikon 8800 doesn't support the assist lamp, that's the same with Nikon Sb 600 and 800 flashes.
I called the Sigma support yesterday and they told me the camera ist not supported by the flash.

I'll go for the SB 600 next week.

Thank you,

Marcus
sling is offline   Reply With Quote