Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 30, 2004, 5:51 PM   #11

Steve,

You don't know the reasons behind Nikon going with an off size filter. There are many factors that play into design deciscions. You may be right and it may have been motivated by greed. However, the only filter you need is a polarizer and maybe a skylight filter for protection of the optics. If you're willing to lug around filters then you probably are more suited to a DSLR anyway.
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:23 PM   #12

Third parties manufacturers have the adapter already so you do not need to go thru Nikon for it.

if you need more than 10x optical or wish to shoot greater wide angle shots the adapter would be needed to add accessory lenses.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:11 PM   #13

I've had my 8800 now for about 3 or 4 weeks.

I am very pleased. I've had no problems with it, including low light focus. Took it on a trip to NYC and took some beautiful shots inside St. Patrick's Cathedral (very dim lighting)...no flash, set on "Museum" scene setting.

There is shutter lag, but not a problem for me...hasn't cost me any shots I wanted. Sometimes it is non-existant, other times it is long.....depending on shooting conditions.

My feeling is it is not the poor performer some have made it out to be...in fact as I've taken the time to learn about the camera I'm taking better and better pictures.

That being said, I'd have to say it's not a point and shoot camera. If you want to maximize the camera's potential you'll have to be patient and learn what the camera can do.

I think the best thing to do is research the cameras you are interested in...which ever it is, read reviews and try the camera's out. Figure out what you need and want and then make the purchase. Be an educated consumer. I knew exactly what I was going to get with the 8800.....I was neithersurprised nor disappointed
:-DJason
JayEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:21 PM   #14

The 3rd party filter adapter that I have seen for the 8800 is ONLY meant to be used with filters, NOT with heavier add-on lenses.So, if you're thinking of using a wide-angle or telephoto add-on lens with a 3rd party filter adapter, think again.

Perhaps Nikon's adaptor will be more heavy duty. We'll wait (and wait) and see.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:25 PM   #15

Capt RB: Your mind set is different then mine and, I believe, the many others who want a do all camera. I've been into photography for many years and I've owned many filter sets. In all honesty I rarely used them. I would be surprised to learn that photo hobbyists, who want the level of performance/creativity from thh 8800, are also running out and buying a set of filters. And if they are I doubt they are using them. I would bet that most hobbyists simply want a sky filter to protect their investment which can be bought for $25.00. You own aDSLR which requires a different mind set.You have made the decision to carry more equipment and lenses. That is fine! I actually checkedout the D70 and a Canon Rebel too before I bought the 8800. I was not that happy with the build quality/size or the cost of the lenses. I also thought that the focusing was not nearly as good as my old FE. So to each his own. If you want a great do all camera, that shoots in darkenss, you should look at the Sony. It is a great camera and built like a tank with several very unique features. The only down side for me is the size.If the Sony had the same Zoom and portability as the Nikon I probably would have bought it. I also compared pics from the Sony and the 8800 andcould see that the noise was much less in the 8800. At iso 50 the 8800 isvirtually noise free. Tonight I was taking a few pics of my wife and daughterin a very dim lit room. TheAF was able to focus but had problems. I simply turned on a light and the cameramade the necessary adjustmentsto compensate for my light source. The pictures came out great. Today - outdoors Itook several jaw dropping macro shots and many other shots with no problem with AF. If you like to shoot in the dark then the 8800 is not the camera to own. All in all the 8800 is a great piece of work.
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:15 AM   #16

FOR GOD'S SAKE GIVE IT A REST! Steve and CaptRB please go and enjoy your cameras and stay away from this forum.
Your views have been expressed in multiple threads and yet you persist in hijacking every single one that has anything to do with this camera. I frankly would slap both of you in the face if I met you, regardless of how big you are, because I've never known anyone as persistently annoying.
I can understand your frustrations, and I DID feel for you both, but now I just wish you would leave and not ever come back. Your opinions are not valued anymore, when all you can do is repeat yourselves with nothing new. Every thread you get involved in ends in a tennis match of insults and frankly it isn't amusing or even novel anymore.

We have had detailed analysis from the both of you about what's wrong with this camera but whatever happened to "Bye Bye" and "Well, my 8800 is history and I'm off to the DSLR groups. As steve rightly says, "this forum is for Coolpix users...not snobish DSLR owners! Funny...I don't look snobish...."?
I don't want or expect a response from either of you. I want you both to just leave and I'm not the only one so do us all a favour.

ANYONE that wants to know about the 8800 and is looking for a critique is positively bound to come across both your comments without fail, you can't deny that, and so there is really no reason to contaminate every single 'happy' comment people make. How would you like it if I came over and relieved myself all over your cameras until the wiring was shot?

JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:27 AM   #17

Capt RB wrote:
Quote:
Now it seems that ANY post, no matter how carefully measured, is deemed "bashing."
No, but your repetition is vomit inducing.

Quote:
You seem to have no photographic experience, but STILL defend the 8800 to a current SLR user. Meanwhile, "Jeff" got his answer and it's the correct one, but it didn't come from anyone but Steve and I. It's pretty amazing. Jeff asked if he could shoot quickly with the 8800 and I explained that he couldn't. I also explained that no prosumer would give him the confidence level of a quality optical veiwfinder on a SLR or DSLR. This is bashing? Jeff shouldn't hear this?
For a start, granted I don't have much experience of photography, but just because you drive a car for 30 years doesn't mean you're good at it or know about anything but changing gears, so cut that out.
Secondly, I never defended the 8800 against an slr. In fact I specifically pointed out that Jeff would most likely have to lower his expectations of the 8800 when comparing it against his slr. I also pointed out that my own experiences with a pretty standard model slr was BETTER in the speed stakes...
As for your comment about viewfinders I regret to say that I disagree with you on this point because I actually prefer the EVF's on prosumers (especially on the high resolution Konica Minolta's) but it is entirely a matter of personal preference and anyone with even a remote sparkle of grey matter would be able to decide on this point themselves.

Quote:
When NEW PEOPLE enter a forum, they generally don't go back 100 threads ago to see what was said about what. Old topics resurface and are covered again and again. I responded to a NEW question from a shooter who's use to an SLR. It's a shame that he's to be denied a variety of opinions because of over-sensitive owners of a specific camera. My comments clearly say that NO prosumer model will match his SLR. Then I went on to say that posters who said the 8800 exceeded 35mm film performance were wrong and so on.
Excuse me? A quick glance at the nikon forum and one finds comparisons between the D70 and 8800, an 'objective' comparison between the Canon G6 and the 8800, a discussion about the '8800 focusing myth', NONE of which I can imagine a prospective buyer of the 8800 will overlook, and ALL OF WHICH include the reoccuring issues that some people have with this camera.
I'm not oversensitive, I'm tired of reading the same over and over. I would be equally bored of it if you're comments were about another camera, the exact reason why I chose to ignore your complaints about the D70 thread.

Quote:
ANYONE who has used film based cameras and UNDERSTANDS them knows that a all-in-one type camera without a true optical viewfinder limits control to an extent. I outlined the differences and refered him to my reviews of the 8800 elsewhere. Yup, I'm an evil monster! The forum is ruined! The 8800 troll creature is lose in the village so get your torches.
Very funny... Shame that as a troll you don't stroll back to your cave. Seriously though, do you not understand why whenever people are asking about the possibilities of the camera that some of us get annoyed when we have to go and hear all the bad stuff you have to say ALL OVER AGAIN despite the fact that the rest of us cope fine.
Jeff actually asked about taking control of the camera, not an slr comparison, but to some extent a slr comparison was inevitable. Telling him he will never get used to it compared to his slr is not answering him in the respect of whether he would get to grips with the camera and be able to use it properly. Of course he would, coming from an slr background taking control of the 8800 should be a walk in the park.

Quote:
For other, more reasonable folks here...(etc)
Look, you are not understanding the fact that I can see why you were unhappy with the 8800. But if you could only take a step back and understand that it's so frustrating knowing that people may be reading your messages and thinking "Wow, this camera is completely and utterly useless at focusing in low light, and the manual zoom is pointless... Well clearly there is no point in getting this camera". When really what they should be thinking is "the 8800 struggles in low light and the manual zoom is an issue... right, I'll check it out. Everything else sounds great though" because aside from the low light the camera does not have many big wrongs. If you have to, tell them to buy from somewhere they can return the camera after a 'test-drive' but please can you stop with the harassment.

Maybe on reading the thread again I over-reacted somewhat, but your problem with iso 200 noise is a completely personal one, I have taken numerous shots at iso 200, not always great out of camera but free noise reduction software can ensure noise-free results with little or no effect on detail in the image. That said, some shots I have taken at this speed have needed no editing.
Also given that Jeff's question was on how long it would take him to learn the camera regardless of any arguments you put forward the people you claim have no photographic experience have produced some spectacular results with this camera in a matter of weeks ownership so maybe you simply did not give it a good enough go. I have personally bought electronics in the past, only to find a single fault that bothered me ever so slightly, eventually ending up with me handing it back, only to hear of people's joy with the product after longer use... and I wonder what I might have missed. It seems to me that you, as a non-experienced Nikon 8800 (oh no, wait... you had 2 or 3 of them... oh but of course that gives you plenty of experience) you cannot fully or properly answer Jeff's original question.
OH, and you were a still photographer. Which clearly qualifies you as a landscape, sports and black/white photographer too... Catch my drift?
I don't think Jeff should be encouraged to 'wait a while' if he is actually looking now. That's the worst advice anyone can get, because they just become more impatient. Some people don't WANT an slr... some people don't WANT a point and shoot... they want a prosumer. Better advice might have been to suggest trying out the camera and deciding for themselves.

I also think you take a lot of credit away from everyone that has replied to Jeff because EVERYONE mentioned problems they have had with the 8800, including low light focusing and as such it is unfair to say that only your comments are keeping the replies balanced.

As I said perhaps I overreacted but your appearance on these threads fuels a lot of anger and frustration and it would have been better if you had kept to your original promise (a point which by the way you failed to respond to) of leaving this forum and going off with your dslr. No such luck, and we continue to suffer for it. Were it a 'real' room, you would have been shunned and thrown out, so that you would have no choice but to go to the other room. Here, it is entirely up to you, but I respectfully ask that you do so if merely to end the animosity that refuses to die down in this forum.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote