Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:39 PM   #1

Hi everyone and a happy New Year ! Many thanks to Big Steve and the moderators for providing this forum. I sure enjoy all the nice folks and the great pictures. This has become a favourite place for me to lurk each day.

I thought I'd post some pics I took today with my Coolpix 8800. I don't pretend there is any great artistic content, but you may enjoy seeing another part of the world.

I live on the southern end of this Province, only a few miles from the USA border. I'm at the tip of Harrison Lake, which extends north about 40 miles, was formed by glaciers in the last ice age and is about 1000' deep.

The first photo is walking my dogs along the lower slope of Bear Mountain, heading for the lake.

Steve
Attached Images

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:44 PM   #2

This picture shows my village, Harrison Hot Springs, hiding beneath the forest. Only about a 1000 souls here, but it gets busy in the summer. There is a hotel at the far reaches of the photo that is owned by the group that also owns the Boston Bruins hockey team and the Boston Celtics (?) basketball team. We get a lot of US tourists from Washington State and Oregon visiting.
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:52 PM   #3

This is Harrison Lake. It extends 40 miles to the north and was the water highway for sternwheelers on the 1850's that carried gold miners on their way to the Caribou goldfields in northern British Columbia. Rumour has it that two prospectors in a canoe first noticed the hot springs at the south end of the lake that gave this area it's name. This doesn't entertain the fact that native people were here over 9000 years ago. Some university students found evidence of native habitation this summer. The lakeside was heavily logged of all the massive old growth forest and what you can see now is only 50 odd years old.

Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:56 PM   #4

We owned a boat for the first 2 years that we lived here. The lake can get very rough, with 5 foot waves in summer. I learned just how tight my butt muscles can get coming home through dangerous waves! It is nice up lake..there are glaciers on the mountains and we quite often saw seals that had come up through the Fraser and Harrison rivers to eat lake's salmon.
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:58 PM   #5

Here's a local sailboat. The captain is not on board and so cannot run down my camera ! Sarcastic, aren't I ?
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:04 PM   #6

This is Mount Cheam. it is about 6000' high and is the tallest mountain near me. I shot this from Harrison Lake, about 8 klm away, on full 10X zoom. This shot faces south. George W. and the mighty USA are just behind the peak.

If you fly out from Vancouver and look down, you see the Fraser River valley with it's narrow band of flat land, and hugh mountains extending all around. It is quiet a sight. Mt. Baker, Mount St. Helens and Mt. Hood are to the south.
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:05 PM   #7

CP 8800 Users!!!! : For the next year I hope the best for all of you. People like Steve " The Scubler ", Walter C. , Jacob G, Swiss Toni, Steve Cz, Okiebirdnerd , Steve the " administrator " of this page, and all of you,that allways are here I wich....

H A P P Y N E W Y E A R !!!!!!!.

From Panama.... Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:07 PM   #8

THE SUNSET FOR THIS 2004 !! THE BEST FOR THE NEX 2005 CARLITIN
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:12 PM   #9

Thsi is Mt. Cheam taken from the south edge of town. It rarely snows here, the ground stays green all winter and snow is just a few hundred feet above us. There is a ski area just a half hour drive from us. You drive 11 klms uphill and enter real winter. It really is a beautiful area.

All the shots are with my Coolpix 8800, set at "extra" and on full auto. I am SO happy with this camera ! I wish you could see the full res originals on my new laptop. They are sharp, brilliant and colourful.

Thanks for all the nice pictures you've shared with me. It's nice to have new friends !

Happy New Year ! I still have 1 left out of a 4 pack of weird Irish beer my wife bought me, so I'll sign off while I still can !

Regards, The Scubbler, Steve ( not KennY Rodgers !)
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:07 PM   #10

Hey Carlitin ! Your sunset intercepted my blue/white winter landscape of the North ! Wow..what a difference ! That's a GREAT photo ! I wouldn't mind a suntan right now !

I wish you a happy New year and look forward to more of your pictures from the south.

Best Regards

Steve