Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 1, 2005, 2:14 PM   #11

Steve C said

Ducks and gulls floating lazily on a pond are one thing......a hovering Kestrel or a Green Woodpecker foraging for grubsare something else entirely.

I'm not sure what the point is. The gull, by the way, was not lazily floating but was flapping it's wings to take-off from the lake.

I'm simply trying to show that action photos are possible with the 8800. Also, see my thread on the topic.

Steve, we're a bunch of 8800 owners here, trying to share information and ideas. Not sure what you're trying to contribute.

Walter

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:08 PM   #12

Deeborah L. wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for the feedback. Guess I've got some more thinking and reading to do. Don't know how understanding my camera dealer will be so...
Quote:
You'llmost certainlyneed an external flash for the indoor shots you describe.
Could you recommend the appropriate external flash to purchase?

Thanks so much,

Deborah
Nikon recommends their own SB600 or SB800 flashguns(of course). Keep in mind that the flash range for the built-in flash is just under 20 ft at wideangle and just under 10 ft at full telephoto (smaller aperture), and that myght enough for you to begin with.

cheers....Santos

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:50 PM   #13

Hi Deborah. I'll chuck my 2 cents worth in. I like the 8800 very much. I suits my interests very well. I don't, however, do much indoors or with a flash. There are folks in this forum who seem to have damaged a good camera's reputation. Mine works very well in low light, seems to be able to take what I consider "action" shots , works splendidly at full hand held zoom and isn't too bulky to handle. I've experimented a lot with settings, but find full "auto" seems to give excellent results, so why would I second guess it ? I like that I can go for a walk, shoot a full zoom shot and then bend down to shoot a flower, all with the same camera. I have no idea how well the 8800 would work at your graduation ceremony. I would suggest some trial shots and then trade it in if the results aren't good. Perhaps this camera will only satisfy me and like minded folk. Walter has posted some beautiful shots taken in a variety of conditions. My own results have been super sharp, brilliantly coloured and exactly what I'd hoped for. I would disregard the blatant slams against this camera, but would test it to see if it is up to "family" type photography. I also own a small Kodak digital that takes great indoor flash pictures, but doesn't come near the Coolpix in outdoor photography. Perhaps it is too much to expect everything from one camera.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:52 PM   #14

Oh...excuse me for being dumb, but what is a "DH" ?

Steve (Acronymly Challenged) (AC ?)
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:52 PM   #15

Hi Deborah,

Welcome to the forum!

You have a great dig cam

Hang on to it!

There is much more to it than a point and shoot dig cam.

One thing I might suggest is this...

Look on your CD that came with the dig cam.

There should be an Adobe Acrobat PDF file on it.

Print this out. It will be about 100-120 pages but at 8.5 x 11 it is much easier to study that the booklet style manual.

Also, when you have an opportunity, please post a few photos and the 8800 owners here I am sure can help you out.

Also, given that you want to shoot some indoor shots ( We have a child graduating in June, and I really want that diploma picture! We also have performing kids, so I wanted to be able to get stage shots. However, I also want to take pictures of my young ones.), you could create a mode per comments GregHalabove (you can preset certain functions and have them still in effect) that would allow to take these photos easily.

:-)

Scubbler...I think DH is "dear husband"! :idea: Deborah, is that right?

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:57 PM   #16

Deeborah L. wrote:
Quote:
All of the discussion swirling around the quality of the 8800 has me thourouhly confused. Is it a bad camera for my family?

Thanks so much for any thoughts you may share,

Deborah
Not going to go into too much detail as much as already been said.
Suffice to say that I spent all of last night photographing a new family member only a few months old (LOTS of movement and colour that needs capturing in the photos) and I am satisfied with most of them.
For family shots indoors, I would definitely recommend you have a look at a technique called hyperfocal focus, see the following link for more details;
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10867007
The 8800 works great with it, and it stops your camera from having to fire off the distracting bright red laser to lock focus in low light situations, without risking loss of sharp focus on the subjects in question. When taking family pictures, you want candid shots where they are unaware of you taking the photo, which is where hyperfocal works great!
Aside from that, what you read going against the 8800, whilst the people had a point, it was limited to two people, whereas there are hundreds of people on the same forums that are happy with their camera, and I promise you that at least two of them have kids too

If you don't want an slr, you've bought the right camera, sleep safe.

:|
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:07 PM   #17

Good Grief fellas, this is forum, not a blitzkrieg....

Steve C

SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:20 PM   #18

Yup, "Dear husband" is right :love:. he's the dearest man I know.Even with six kids he stillspoils me at Christmas and indulges all my interests.

Thank you all again for all your thoughts. I guess I'll keep playing, figure out how to to post some pics and wait for more words of wisdom. I really appreciate your help.

Jakob, thank you for the link. I'm going to read it over carefully after I finish nebulizing my small boy.

Have a good night,

Deborah
Deeborah L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:56 PM   #19

Steve- I had to look that one up:
A swift, sudden military offensive, usually by combined air and mobile land forces. Very funny lol! I guess this is an extra friendly group....
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:51 AM   #20

Trader,

I have to admit I stole the line from an old Three Stooges film where Moe, Larry and Curly are WWII German Soldiersplaying pool. It seemed like the perfect fit considering the all the flak exploding in my vicinity. :G

Steve C
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote