Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:06 PM   #1

Greetings!

I'm waiting for my 8800 to arrive later this coming week. I also ordered a 1GB CF card for it.

My question:

I can go pickup a Hitachi 2GB microdrive today for $89US after $20 rebate. What kind of write time can I expectfor the drive vs. the CF card?

TIA!
pdlstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:34 PM   #2

hi pdlstl,

Welcome to the forum

Though your microdrive price is an excellent one, I would suggest you also consider Compact Flash (saytwo or three 512 MBSandisk Ultra II).

The microdrive is just that...a very small drive with very small moving parts.

Others on this forum swear by them so this is just my opinion but I use CF over Microdrives because CF has no moving parts.

I am sure others here will sing the benefits of Microdrives.

It will be up to you to make your own decisions re storage media. :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:05 AM   #3

There's a website that tests the speed of the various memory cards and microdrives.The microdrives were actually pretty fast and very comparable to the CF cards. You can't beat the price on these storage devices either. I rememberthe high prices when they first came out. My only concern is the power that they drain. I would love to see a comparison between a CF card and microdrive. I just paid 120.oo for a 1gig SandiskExtreme lll card so your 2 gig drive sounds like a steal. Where did you purchase it?
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:24 AM   #4

We have several locations of an electronic store here in the DFW area called Fry's. They may be elsewhere as well.

I had ordered a 1GB Dane-Elec CF card with the camera. So now I have that and the 2GB Hitachi microdrive.

Thanks for the info!

Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:33 AM   #5

PDLSTL

Greetings, neighbor. I'm in nearby Grand Prairie. I would say that Sam's Warehouse or COSTCO would have the best prices on 1GB CF cards. Fry's, of course, would have a better selection.

Can you believe this great weather. 3 days before Christmas the birds were walking on ice over in Arlington (see picture). Now we're in the 70's! That's north Texas, eh?

Walter

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:35 PM   #6

Pleased to meet you Walter!

Yep, it is definitely North Texas! I was born and raised in Mineral Wells and have lived many places around the country before settling back in Cowtown.

N. Texas is one of those places where the old worn-out cliche, "Don't like the weather? Wait a few minutes." really holds true.

Looking forward to my 8800 after having been through many digicams in the past and 35mm for many years before that.

Will post some shots as soon as the new cam arrives!

*On edit - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Hitachi at Fry's yesterday. Will end up at $89 after rebate.

Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:43 PM   #7

PDLSTL

Howdy back atcha!

Anxious to hear how your Hitachi works when you get your 8800. Let us know.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:33 AM   #8

My feeling is that the 8800 probably can't take advantage of any CF card that is over 40x from times posted in previous reviews.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:22 PM   #9

traderfjp

Them times seem a little slow to me compared to what i've been getting, what do you actually time (from when to when) do you go by when it will let you take another shot or by when the busy or card symbol goes?

skes
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:20 PM   #10

SKES:I used a watch and started the time from the moment the shutterfires (I can hear it) and then when the hour glass goes away or when the screen goes from black to active. On Extra there are times when the card symbols comes on after about 3 seconds.

As a side note I saw a 4 gb Microdrive for about 160.00. That's dirt cheap. But I think I'd like to stick with CF.