Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:18 PM   #11

here's one I took the other day - I'm realy happy with my 8800 at the moment, great picture quality - just need to get an external flash now...!

Nadeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:10 PM   #12

That sure is a long neck!
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:41 PM   #13

Walter C. : Beautifull photos !. More days, more to know the 8800.for what doyou want the camera ???? for everything. !. . Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:56 PM   #14

Walter: Great pics! I'm still getting to know the 8800. Did you use continous AF for these picutres or did you try to press the shutter half way and then shoot? Thanks
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:20 AM   #15

Did you use continous AF for these picutres or did you try to press the shutter half way and then shoot?

Yes, I used continuous AF. However, with birds in flight it still did a lot of searching. My biggest problem was keeping up with the flight of the bird while staying in focus.

Here's my favorite of the ones I took today.

Walter

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:34 PM   #16

OK, here's my last post on the subject with advance apologies to all those who might take offense.

Attached is a photo of a Whimbrel. When it's feeding or chasing a member of the opposite sex, it moves about quite randomlyandis, therefore, very very hard to photograph. In the attached photo, when I hit the shutter release, it was posed perfectly looking from left to right (so that you could see it's drop dead gorgeous profile from peak to tail feathers). However,the shutter lagin my camera (a Nikon CP4500 that I use for digiscoping)meant that when the camera finally triggered, the bird had moved considerablyand the pose was completely different than what I wanted. So now instead of a lovely side view mug shot of this Whimbrel, you see an awkward and rather comical "all-arse"pose.

As this is a thread about bird photography it is quite relevant for me to say that I got the same frustrating results when I owned my 8800. Sorry folks, but that isn't bashing, it's just the truth.

So I'll repeat myself...the 8800 is an outstanding camera for many types of photography, but is it NOTwell suited tophotograph fast moving objects that you want to catch in a fleeting, memorable pose. Stated another way, for photos of twitchy birds or someone getting a brief handshake & a diploma,a camera with no shutter lag is MUCHmore suitable. For this type of photography,a camerawith significant shutter lag (like the 8800) is and will forever be, an endless source of frustration....ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Some final comments to Walter C, Jakob G and others who may have taken offense to my postings. First of all, this is a genericNIKON FORUM and that, my friends,means it is open to discussion and dissenting opinions.Second of all, I have never intended to annoy or insult anyone and if you have taken offense, then you really should consider reducing the amount of sugar, caffeine and/or alcohol in your diet.

Au Revoir, Do Svedanya, Ma'asallama, O Sige, Auf Wiedersein, Hasta La Vista Baby, E-Ba-Dee-Ba-Dee-Ba-Dee-That's-All-Folks. :G

Steve C.

Attached Images

SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:50 PM   #17

What on earth was that all about?

At least we know what a Whimbrel is, eh? Although out of focus.

As we all know, even DLSR's have a bit of shutter lag so capturing a twitchy Whimbrel may challenge them as well.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:13 PM   #18

Hi SteveCZ

"...consider reducing the amount of alcohol..." ...shurely shome mishtake?

Blindingly obvious any digital point and shoot (even a $1000 8800 let alone a 4500) is incapable of capturing fast action... nature of the beast.

With respect... decide what you want to do and choose the tool for the job.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:15 PM   #19

The shutter lag on the 8800 can't be that bad right? The review said that the lag was only like 0.1 second when prefocused, and 0.6 second when not prefocused. This is definitely quite satisfactory with these specs.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:17 PM   #20

This guy here was flying ... and I captured it with my nikon 950.
Attached Images