Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:23 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm about to buy the nikon 8800 and need to know: should i go with a 4gb microdrive or a 2x1gb compact flash. These are the issues:
- I know microdrive is a bit slower ..but i also know that the 8800 is no particulary fast either so is their a significant difference in the recycle time with microdrive?
- if i go with cf what speed cf is best for 8800 without being overkill (40x or 80x, ultra 2 or ultra 3 ?)
- what's the average size for best possible quality jpeg with the 8800.. cause ill be shooting msotly on vacation for a week or two without acess to any other storage...?
-the power consumption issue: is the 8800 battery big enough that the extra power consumption of microdrive becomes negligible??

Thanks a lot to anybody who can clearly adress these issues!
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:04 PM   #2

Me personaly i'd go for CF, no moving parts less to go wrong, and i dont think the battery is all that good on my 8800, it always seems to be showing segments missing,( maybe i was spoilt with my Optio 550 that seemed to last forever on a charge ) so i would have as little drain as poss.

i find most of my pics on Extra are between 5 and 6 MB.

cant really comment on the speed of the card, i have an 80x Lexar but apart from trying a 16MB cf (which was a lot slower) i've not had ortried any others to compare it to.
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:17 PM   #3

ok thanks .. what's the recycle time like with ur lexar 80x ?

ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:01 PM   #4

Hi

Well the way i test it is i take a shot and straight away i press the button again and count how long it takes before it clicks the next shot (very scientific i know :-))and i get the following..Tiff about 10 to 12 seconds, raw about 6 seconds and extra about 2 seconds or less.

But to be honest i'm not that fussed, in normal use it does me fine and i dont find it a problem, but then again i've not tried many others to know the difference so i havn't been spoilt, it's faster than my Optio 550 thats for sure
skes is offline   Reply With Quote