Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:27 AM   #1

I've been playing around with the software that comes with the CP8800. The progam supplied isn't adequate for converting RAW images to Tiff. Actually that feature doesn't exist and the program only allows JPG conversions. I was wondering if anyone has found a good shareware or lowcost program that will do batch conversion. I'd like a program that is speedy too. I'm currently using an older version of Photoshop and heard the newer version supports some RAW formats but I really don't want to invest in that right now.

Thanks
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:00 PM   #2

The software supplied on the CD that comes with the 8800 can not open RAW files from the 8400 or 8800. However, if you go to Nikon USA's web site you can down load a new version (1.1?) that will open these RAW files.

Unfortunately, the software for Macs is painfully slow. Quite unusable. Maybe the PC version is better, I don't know. Adobe has a beta version of their RAW reader for Photoshop which is much faster and quite useful. Even though they don't list compatibility for the 8400 and 8800, it works for sure with 8800 RAW images.

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:20 PM   #3

Hi Gordon:

I actually loaded the software the came with the 8800. And it does in fact open a RAW file and can convert it to a JPG. You can also convert RAW files from in the camera too but that is painfully slow.

I may end up paying the bucks to get the latest copy of Photoshop cs. I was hoping to find a thrid party plug-in that works with an older copy of PS.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:26 AM   #4

I just bought Nikon's Capture 4.0 for batch processing of RAW files. It's not that fast and the program itself will take some time to get use to. I also did another comparison of Raw vs. Extra. I still don't see much of a difference in Photoshop and I printed each photo out and still not much of a difference. The contrast was a little bit better on the RAW format but that can be fixed in post processing. I'm still curious to compare both formats with photos from a sunny day but it really shouldn't matter - I'm guessing.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:47 PM   #5

Howdy,

Try a free picture viewer http://www.irfanview.com/. You will need to download a program as well as current plugins.

I use this program for a very long time and am very satisfied with it. The batch conversion function is full of lot of options.

Regards

Piotrek, Warszawa, Poland
stasiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:42 AM   #6

Why not just use the camera to convert the raw to tif, then load from the CF card to computer?

That is quick and easy.
Capt of Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:42 PM   #7

I have tried that and I found it painfully slow. The Nikon Capture 4.0 works great and now it has intergrated itself with my Photoshop 7.01 and I can open NEF files i that program too. Personally I don't see myself using RAW that often.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 8:30 AM   #8

I am sure that it is not cheap but you might want to check out Bibble.
Agent69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 2:41 PM   #9

I recommend the new Nikon Capture 4.1 that Nikon is currently selling on their site. I set it to Adobe Wide in the custom setup and so far it has really helped me to fine tune the color images I took of a sunset on setting III (enhanced) in my D70 which turned out to be way oversaturated. I think it's worth the expense.

Roseha
roseha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:12 PM   #10

how do you import the 8800's raw into photoshop cs?
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote