Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 6, 2002, 9:13 PM   #1

Default Coolpix 5700-System Lockup

Has anyone experienced their 5700 locking up while taking a picture? I was at work the other day taking pictures and the camera locked up while saving to the memory card. It also took abnormally long to save pictures. I had to remove the battery and then reinstall it before I could get it to shut down properly. It worked fine after that. At the time, I attributed the fault to a low battery. It happened again a couple of days later, but this time with a full battery. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Laserjock
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2002, 8:36 AM   #2

Yes, I've experienced something like that! When I was watching the prewiev it suddenly froze and locked all camerafunctions (just like windows - right!). I had to open the batterydep. close it again and ...everything works fine. Strange. But so far it only has happened once to me - in about 3-4 month. I don't see it as a problem. However if you keep getting the error - you should use your warranty and get it fixed.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:10 PM   #3

Thanks, I thought that I may not be the only one. I'm contemplating e-mailing Nikon support and getting an "official" answer.

Laserjock
Old Nov 8, 2002, 9:13 AM   #4

Wise done! Please let me know!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 2:28 AM   #5

Sounds like contact corrosion which often cannot be seen and limits the deliver of current to the circuitry (same result as low battery). Anyone who can remember back to S100 bus computers knows the repair was often contacts cleaned with a pencil eraser and reseated board.

However, this is guessing based upon what you said. I will be very interested in what Nikon has to say.
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ghiringhelli
Sounds like contact corrosion which often cannot be seen and limits the deliver of current to the circuitry (same result as low battery). Anyone who can remember back to S100 bus computers knows the repair was often contacts cleaned with a pencil eraser and reseated board.

However, this is guessing based upon what you said. I will be very interested in what Nikon has to say.
Hmm, I'm not sure that's it. This is a new camera (less than a month old). I still need to contact Nikon on this.