Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:11 PM   #1

Does anyone know what kind of artifact is indicative of a fried imager? After having taken some sun-behind-the-clouds shots with my new 8800, I noticed a greyish transparent circle on all my shots from about 180 mm to full telephoto. I'm not dumb enough to shoot the direct disk of the sun, but there it is! I would suggest that one be very careful at full telephoto setting when shooting into very bright light. I'll know more when nikon warranty service contacts me with the good or bad news.
barrisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:04 PM   #2

Thanks for the warning ! I hope you spoke to someone, rather than e mailed a query. I sent 2 to Nikon Canada before Xmas and still have not had a reply.

Good luck and I hope they help you, rather than blame you. I've not noticed any warnings about that situation and think that if there is a danger, they should at least warn us, and very clearly !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:59 PM   #3

Basrrisimo : If you want, I have a trick to take pic from the sun. Take a little cardboard box, open a rectangular hole en put there a" Filterweld Glass " this one the welding masc use. can be a Shade 10 or 12, is very dark and can protect your cameraand your eyes. Put your camera in side the box,near to the glass and full zoom and control the picby the LCD screen. The filterweld glass can be 2x4 1/4 inch. Thaths all. Carlitin PS. I used few year ago to get a suneclipse.
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:49 PM   #4

yah... I guess that a magnifying glass with 10 times magnification could actually do something like burn things maybe.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Administrator

It's more likely a spec of dust on or near the sensor. At smaller apertures a dust spot is more visible and well defined (and the autoexposure algorithms would select a smaller aperture pointing the camera at a bright sky).

A dust spot will be less visible and less definedat larger apertures (represented by smaller f/stop numbers).

Dust on or near the sensor also tends to be more noticeable at longer focal lengths.

You'll see some examples of dust on or near a Sony DSC-W1 CCDin this album (takenpointing at the sky):

http://www.pbase.com/geh/image/33626455
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:49 PM   #6

Jim.....
Thanks for those shots. That's exactly how the artifact appears. I have already sent the camera off to Nikon for servicing. I'm kind of curious how dust suddenly shows up on a processor with a closed lens system. Anyway, I appreciate your kindness. I've been kicking myself all week thinking I ruined a brand new camera.
barrisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:27 AM   #7

barrisimo wrote:
Quote:
I'm not dumb enough to shoot the direct disk of the sun,
I *am* dumb enough.I have owned camcorders with CCD sensors since 1991 (before digital still photography got going). Camcorders have remarkable low-light sensitivity. However, I have often included the image of the sun, with no apparent ill-effects. I am now on my third (Sony) camcorder, the previous two both having failed, bizarrely, after just 6 years and exactly 54 90minute tapes.

None of my images show any ghosts attributable to solar damage, and my three still digicams since 2001 don't show any damage either. However, I'm not in the habit of putting the camera on a tripod and pointing it at the sun.

So don't worry too much!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:12 PM   #8

Here are a small example of pic taiking with the 8800 and FilterWeld # 12. one with optical zoom and one with full digital zoom. Are not so great, bu can show the posibilitis of the camera. I think, with astronomical filter can be better. Carlitin
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:13 PM   #9

digital zoom, the green color is for the filter
Attached Images