Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:18 PM   #1

After following this forum for weeks, I've just taken delivery of an 8800. Trying to update the firmware, I'm getting an error; "Update Error".

Any ideas, anyone?

Simon
totallygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:59 PM   #2

Hi Welcome to the club ! I spent a very frustrating day with the same problem. I even downloaded the update a second time, but when I tried to transfer to the camera, the process would start, indicate it would take 2 minutes and then freeze. The camera indicated it had the update, but could not load it as I suppose it was not complete.

I then went through the whole process on my new laptop...and it worked ! I don't think I did anything differently, but when I transferred the files to the camera, it only took a few seconds. I would download the update again, make VERY sure you have every step EXACTLY as they show and try again. If you can do it on a newish computer, as I did, that may be the mystery solution. I was very worried that I had screwed up my new camera. I've noticed quite a few people with similar difficulties on other forums, so don't feel bad. I actually e mailed Nikon Canada for advice and got no response. Why do they have these sites and then not service them ?

Good luck !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:12 PM   #3

Hi Simon

Try changing your CF card and download from a different (ie European or US) site...

...don't ask ...it just might work.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:55 PM   #4

Steve, Bruce, thanks.

I only have the one CF card (I was sold a £80 Lexar CF 80x - was it worth the extra £40?), so there was no changing it. But I reformatted it, then went through the whole process again step by step and hey - success! So thanks, both of you!

And re. the Nikon website - I registered, but then couldn't login (userID not recognized). So I tried to re-register, but then the userID I chose came up as already taken, although when I tried to use it AGAIN, it wasn't recognized.

Unassailable logic rulez!

Simon
totallygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:51 PM   #5

Glad it worked ! What a relief, eh ? You didn't mess your new camera up ! I may be nuts, but I think mine works better with the new firmware. I'm lazy and use auto, but my latest shots seem sharper and more contrasty...as I like 'em !

You must be as relieved as I am !

Steve.... Firmware 1.4 endowed !
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote