Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:08 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

Yesterday was the first time after the Christmas/New Year period that I had a look at our 3 local camera shops.I was pleasantly surprised to see that one of them is selling the CP8800 now for £599, a price I had seen so far only on the internet.

I will have closer look today and also see which accessories they might be able to sell.

I expect it will go further down than that, So I will wait a little longer, I think. I know so much about the camera by now and that there will be plenty of people to help out if I get stuck. It seems to me the ideal in between choice of point&shoot and Dslr (nikon D70, which is now down to £749 from £999).

Greetings from

Angie

ps.Don't stop posting all those fantastic photos to the forums, it has helped me a lot to make up my mind:-)
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:14 AM   #2

£560 (£745 D70) at Empire Direct, when i bought mine i paid £579, and they were £549 at Empire then.
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:19 AM   #3

If you want a cheap price, but don't want to risk buying online you can do what I did.

Find the cheapest price for a UK site which is showing stock, then print out that page and take it along to your local Jessops. They should price match this for you. I only paid £549 for my 8800 even though they had them advertised at full retail.

This should help you find a cheap price. http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photogr...229509/details

At least then you've got a local shop you can go to if you have any problems.
swiss_toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:17 AM   #4

swiss_toni wrote:
Quote:
If you want a cheap price, but don't want to risk buying online you can do what I did.

Find the cheapest price for a UK site which is showing stock, then print out that page and take it along to your local Jessops. They should price match this for you. I only paid £549 for my 8800 even though they had them advertised at full retail.

This should help you find a cheap price. http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photogr...229509/details

At least then you've got a local shop you can go to if you have any problems.
That's exactly what I did, I checked out dealtime too which is the same as pricerunner - comparing prices around the net - but with a few different shops:
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Coolpix_8800

I got mine from a Jessops price match too, for £570 which was the cheapest price on any of the sites listed on pricerunner and dealtime at the time.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:10 PM   #5

Even at 549GBP you are paying 43GBP more than I did in Canada. And I see the 8800 for 396GBP in the USA (online). Doesn't it seem unfair that the same product can vary in price so much ? And then when you add taxes that some areas don't have....grrr ! I shouldn't complain, as mine was at least cheaper than England .

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:13 PM   #6

And does the 8800 have a 2 year Nikon warranty in England ? I think it's one year in the USA. It's 2 years here in Canada...maybe they think we're frozen in half the year and unable to move ?

Steve
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:25 PM   #7

Hey Scub-Man,

They don't call it "Ripoff Britain" for nothing.

Steve C
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:05 PM   #8

Yup your right there RipOff Britain and only 1 year warranty too
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:18 PM   #9

Hey..what happened to Britain after I moved ? High prices AND warm beer ! Yuk ! I get mad when I see the low prices when we are in the USA...and the lower taxes. But when I see prices in Britain...I feel a bit better ! Even gasoline (petrol) seems high here at .30GBP / litre (70 cents ), but must be a lot lower than Over 'ome .

But look on the bright side, you have fish n' chips on each corner and we only get donuts.

Steve
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:28 PM   #10

Hi skes,

Bestcameras are doing a 2 year free warranty on the net, but there price is a little bit more than some of the others.:roll:

http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/ac...8800_1072.html

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote