Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:19 AM   #1

I was getting bored of work (preparing to go back to university post-graduate studies next week) and so grabbed my camera, attached the Nikon 6T close up lens, and walked round the house.
Just the one worthwhile image I think. Nothing really special though.

(And yes, I know only the stamens are in focus... The 6T really kills dof!)
Attached Images

JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:20 AM   #2

That's one of the things that starting to annoy me about the CP8800. You can only go down to f8.0. Which seems rediculously high, especially for Macro work.

I'm still waiting for my 6T to arrive from Hong Kong, can't wait o have a play with it. The samples you posted so far look pretty good. Will adding another 5t or 6t help or just make the dof worse? Does it vary according to focal length etc.
swiss_toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:32 AM   #3

Swiss Toni. Well, it's very much like making love to a beautiful woman... you have to know when you've reached the limits

Actually I've done some work on it and although f8 isn't exactly spectacular, for a start you won't get any smaller than that with many alternatives (the only 8mp I'm aware of doing any higher - f11 - is the Konica Minolta A2) unless you switch to slr. Bummer really, but because of the difference in distance between the imager and lens elements etc you get more depth of field anyway. Of course, that doesn't really make me or you feel any better once we start playing around with attachments such as the 6T and struggle even with f8 to get any decent amount of focus.

Anyways, on to the questions;
Dunno about another 6T but I do know that a 6T together with a 5T is a well known good combination. Either way, it would help in the magnification, or distance to subject, but it will not do much good for dof... in fact, it'll worsen matters even more!
It does vary with focal length. Although most of my samples have so far been at full zoom, which also gives you the maximum magnification, zooming out just a few mm will give you much better dof. Without taking some more samples I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure that zooming out to roughly 200mm equivalent more than doubles the amount of dof. Of course, there are so many variables, but in reality so long as you either place your subject or yourself well, planning any shots, you'll find the 6T a joy to use.
I don't know how effective it's going to be with moving bugs, but only time (and the right season) will tell.

Tip: To get the furthest away from the subject possible, set the focus to infinity (mountain icon). I've played with manual focusing, which does work but is tiring, and unless you want SUPERHUGE magnification, the distance given to you at furthest focus even allows for the flash to be used! Once you start getting in closer it's the same problem as with the camera's own macro shooting, but as I say it does give even bigger magnification.

Looking at the hyacinth, you are still getting slightly bigger magnification with the 6T attached at infinity focus (with a bit of distance between you and the subject) than you do with the camera on it's own 3cm from the subject.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:52 PM   #4

Jakob, thanks very much, that's a very usefull and comprehensive answer. I'm really looking forward to having a go once mine arrives. Especially as you've told be the flash can be employed. That really opens some options up.

I'll post some piccys once I have my 6t
swiss_toni is offline   Reply With Quote