Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:35 PM   #1

I hope you'll all join me on my journey.

The sun was shining brightly this morning, the skies blue, the wind relatively mild. It seemed the perfect opportunity to visit somewhere that could really test my Nikon 8800. I had been told of the local deer park at Woburn Abbey and so decided to make my way there, with utmost haste so as not to lose the good low sun creating long draping shadows.

As I stepped out of the car the local church spire shone through the trees:

Heading off towards the deer park, I came across a fallen tree trunk with a gap perfectly suited to be a leaning chair for two.

Just on the edge of the grounds of the deer park stands a building surrounded by a small moat (easily jumpable), strange indeed seeing as the building was empty, so one wonders what the locked gate is protecting

Alas, I'd love to say my first photograph of deer was a brilliant and inspirational one, but... well... at full 350mm zoom with 4x digital, it didn't really work out. But it was my first shot ever so it had to be shared.

Further down the path I ended up alongside a small lake on a hill, at just below eye level, and managed to spot a sole bather on what was slowly becoming a windier and colder day than it started.

Small enclosures on one side were set aside from the path and the main deer park, I can only assume it's for monitored breeding or quarantine purposes.

Not just deer though.

Looking back where I came from (enclosure fencing can be seen on the left, the hilltop lake on the right) and finally getting a chance to put my polariser to good use, I came away with one of my best landscapes to date.

Then looking up:

Further along the path, I continued around another lake, coming across what must be a stream in rainy weather, was almost completely dried out but still muddy enough to cake my shoes in it when I jumped across.

The middle of the lake had a small island, these two chaps were chopping down some trees. The picture says it all - a tractor had been used to carry the boat that was used to cross over to the island and then chop the trees down... Don't ask me why. Maybe they have pigmy deer there.

I was getting deeper into forested areas, and just as a whole host of deer cross my path and I creep towards them ever so slowly... a darned car comes up behind me.
Well, it was a park for pedestrians and drivers alike, unforetunately... Why do people drive through? Startled all the deer and as they started to make a run for it I ended up having to make do and take some hurried shots.

And to my other side, barely time for the AF to refocus, but I was in such a hurry to grab some shots before they all disappeared.

I was resigned to the fact that they were all slowly gaining distance between me and them, but was relatively happy with a few of the shots I got.
And then finally, a glimmer of hope. A stroke of luck that a group of one male and a few females, that hadn't been moved by the passing cars, were upwind of me and so hadn't smelt my pungent(?) scent. Only when I was as close as I wanted to be did they even look up.

And my crowning glory for the day:

No cropping applied to either of the last two images, auto-levels applied in photoshop elements 3 to fix the light that was now becoming increasingly poor because clouds were starting to cover up the sun. It became a very grey diffused light.

Once he'd had enough of me, he started staring me down before facing me head on - it was at this point I felt I should probably move on. Clearly he did not want his harem to be depleted. No sharing, what a dull boy!

So looking down below me, I decided I had to come home with at least one macro shot:

And squirrels, there were plenty of them:

He was a big fat one too!

Passed a dog cemetery, though the few gravestones next to the elaborate memorial suggest this was purely for the Duke of Bedford to whom the Woburn grounds belongs.
(Two gravestones can be made out between the trees to the far right of the image)

I promise you I tell no lie... this was a pheasant. I guess the full digital zoom at 350mm handheld didn't really do the fact that I spotted him justice.

But once I closed in on his location... well, he was having none of it and darted quick as a flash in the opposite direction, never to be seen by me again. Or photographed for that matter. Which is a shame because this was the best I got.

A tree with elephant feet

Nearing the end of my walk, coming around the other side of the lake originally only inhabited by one bather, there were now several, amongst others this black swan:

Plenty more things were seen, but once I had walked out of the park, I came across the strangest of things I personally have ever seen... Yes that is a BLACK squirrel. I have been told now that it is a Canadian species.

And at the top of a church tower, two dragons on the corners looking out over their lands, bluey sky provided courtesy of the polariser.

JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:03 PM   #2

Jakob,

Wow, great photos! What settings did you use?

Steve
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:02 PM   #3

SteveCz wrote:
Quote:
Jakob,

Wow, great photos! What settings did you use?

Steve
Thanks Steve. They aren't all very good, but for me it has been a mainly successful day of shooting. Very relaxing indeed.

Without going through it shot by shot...
The majority were in Aperture priority mode, except the animals were almost all in Shutter priority. ISO varied between 50, 100 and 200 (only went that high on one or two where high shutterspeed was needed).

Most specific subjects were centre weighted metering or spot metering linked to the focus point, the rest were matrix metering (full scene analysis).

The various deer shots were pretty much all at full zoom (350mm) with some digital zoom though whenever I pulled it up to x4 digital the images became too unclear. Very few (if any) were at the full wide angle, most would have been above 48mm.

If you are interested in specific shots, please let me know and I'll post the EXIF details.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:07 PM   #4

Hi Jacobz,

Great series, I especially liked your irate buck in profile and the squirrel in closeup.

I do believe that you may have set a record for total number of pics in one post!

Great to view your thread at work and not home on dial up! :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:19 PM   #5

JacobG : Beautifull pic. I like your contry, and you can be shure, here ar no so fat
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:05 AM   #6

Digcamfan: thanks... I think you may be right about the number of pictures in a single post
Carlitin: thanks... fantastic squirrel picture! Looks like the little guy didn't really like the flash!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:11 AM   #7

This is my squirrel contribution .. canon g6 ..even though this is a nikon forum hehe
This one's slightly out of focus. I should have put it on a different focusing mode.

That deer park looks like a lot of fun to visit. I wouldn't mind going to that place. Some nice pictures you took there!
Attached Images

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:15 AM   #8

And one more hehe...
I was going to take more pictures, but this dog ran out - unleashed and started running toward me, and scared the squirrel away. The stupid thing was that it was so early in the morning, and I rarely encounter dogs around our apartments that come charging out and charge toward you. Luckily it was a tame dog, but I was a bit angry about the owner, which was a girl, that just let it bolt out from the apartment entrance like that and had it completely free to charge about the streets.
Attached Images

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:42 PM   #9

That is one cute looking squirrel Kenny, regardless of the camera!