Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:44 PM   #1

I've read several reviews on write times for the 8800 and the times vary quite a bit. I'd love to see what card you're using and the write times for a RAW pic, JPG High and a Tiff. Simply time the camrea from the time you here the click of the shutter to the time that the hour glass goes away.

On this site:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8800/page11.aspThey are listing:

24 seconds: Raw

10 seconds: JPG_High:

On this review site http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP8800/CP88A7.HTM

They quoted15.98 seconds for a TIFF to write to the CF card.

I called Nikon about write times and that they were too slow and they quoted me 14 seonds for a RAW shot.

It will be interesting to see write times for various users and the cards they are using. I've resigned myself to using Fine for most of my photographybecause of the quickness of the format and I also use RAW for special shots.

I'll post my times tonight when I get home.
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:48 PM   #2

1gb Extreme lll Sandisk:

Raw: 18

Tiff: 24

Extra 7

Fine 4

Normal: 3

Old Viking 256

Raw: 21

Tiff: 33

Extra: 10

Fine: 4

Normal: 3
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:55 PM   #3

Lexar 80x

Raw 8.8

Tiff 15.20

Extra 2.73

Fine 2.6 (approx)

Norm 2.36

Basic 2.23

All average of 3 shots
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:49 PM   #4

Assuming you mean when the hourglass dissapears and not the little green card thing I got the following with a Lexar 80x 1Gb.

Shot 1 Shot 2 Shot 3 Average
Raw 8.47 8.35 8.15 8.32
Tiff 15.37 14.16 13.84 14.46
Extra 2.51 2.19 2.6 2.43
Fine 2.31 2.52 2.22 2.35
Normal 2.43 2.37 2.16 2.32
Basic 1.84 2.45 1.9 2.06

A friend has my Std Sandisk 512Mb, but I'll get it back tomorrow and give it a go.
swiss_toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:12 PM   #5

WoW!!! When I setup the camera - under monitor options I had turned offreview becuase I thought it would speed up the 8800. In effect it actually doubles the write times to the CF card. I'm not sure why. But I was reading that this option turned off increases write times. I turned it back on and now my write times are half as long. What a miracle. My old Viking 256mb card is actually pretty fast. I have a 2gb Lexar 80x card coming and will report my write times with this card when I get it.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:52 PM   #6

Good for you
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:23 PM   #7

I got these times with a SanDisk Ultra 2 1GB card. All were done at 8mp. This is with the timed stopped after both the hour glass andthe green card goes out. Also, firmware 1.4 if it makes any difference.

Raw 8.9 sec.

Tiff8.9 sec

Extra 8.9 sec.

Fine 5.3 sec.

Normal 3.2 sec.

Basic 3.2

elube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:03 PM   #8

. . . Hello all, I'm a nubi and am already checking with the moon to see when it will be willing to illuminate the CCD of my 8800. It's a chore of course, but it's the law so I must.
. . . Bit of a tizzy on the time it takes for the 8800 to write a picture to a flash card. Amid all the numbers, I think I notice a pattern. Could this be the solution:
. . . I admit I cheated, shooting a RAW or two with my own new 8800 (firmware 1.4). I aim to stay with RAW for every single shot, unless I do 500 time-lapse shots of a highway or something. Why pay for all that horsepower unless you're going to speed a lot?
. . . What I noticed was that a single 8mp RAW shot on my cheapo Sandisk512, from Staples on sale, clears the internal buffer in about 10 seconds, turning off the hour glass which gives me permission to shoot another shot.
. . . What I also noticed was that the same shot was still copying itself out to the flash card until 20 seconds after the shutter click, at which time the little green card with an arrow on top disappeared.
. . . One poster had a different story, elube, who said both his hourglass and his green card went out in 9 seconds (8mp RAW). Unless he misstated his results, he's on to something and I'd like to hear his settings.
. . . I can live with ten seconds between shots, and can always grab a fast group of five when I need to.
. . . Finally, what I seem to be hearing also is that my 10 and 20 seconds (8mp RAW) will become about 8 and 15 seconds if I get a card with major speed. That gives me a good mental chart on which to check prices.
. . . Where have all you flashcard posters (traderfjp, skes, swiss_toni, and elube) been since January 21? Geez, you've blown a whole month, but I bet you were having fun.
yankeedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:58 AM   #9

Well i've been busy getting my Camper ready for a 2 month tour of France, Spain and Portugal, where i'm gonna take lots of pics :G
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:30 PM   #10

I have just come back from an 8 week tour of Australia and japan, and write time was pretty much irrelevant. OK, so it is 12.7 sec instead of 10.5. It takes 3 min to set up the camera for a shot anyway, and changing a setting or two on the camera for the next pic eats up all that 'wait time' anyway. my advice is to take the shot, scratch your nose, reset your trousers and take the next shot.
RugbyEng is offline   Reply With Quote