Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:26 AM   #1
seb

I hope it's alright if I post this here. With all the 8800 lovers here, I hope to get some input as to the best place to buy from. There are no local dealers carrying the 8800 - they can order it but it'll be closer to $1000. The link from Steve's review to dealtime.com lists a lot of places where the camera is ~$720-$740 and they are supposedly 'trusted stores'. Can I trust these reviews of the stores and go with a place like digitalphoto.com, buydig.com, IBuyDigital.com, dbuys.com.... ? Can't wait to start shooting!:|
seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:52 PM   #2

I bought my 8800 from buydig.com.....I got a good deal and they sent it fast. No upsells or problems. Good luck and happy shooting.
cfmtrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:22 PM   #3

I also bought my 8800 from buydig.com. The camera arrived in perfect condition new in the box. Total price with next day shipping was $777, I believe this has since come down a few dollars.

Be warned however that since buydig is obviously working on a smaller margin, they are very tight confirming credit card orders. Be sure to provide your home number and a number where you can be reached during the day. They will call to confirm, but they don't try to upsell, at least with me they didn't.
K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:53 PM   #4

Don't trust the trusted stores. Just because it says trusted stores, it doesn't mean they're reliable or honest. Use google.com and search for 'epinions store-name' ... eg 'epinions abeofmaine' etc.

5 star ratings usually is the best... eg profeel.com .. these folks you can trust and depend on. They won't hassle you to buy more things. They won't lie to you, and they'll send what you order promptly etc. I don't know these folks, but I bought my canon camera from them not long ago, and they deserve their 5 star rating.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5
seb

Thanks Kenny. After looking at epinions.com, it appears they show the same reviews and database as dealtime.com.
seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:28 AM   #6

Anytime Seb. yah..I just don't like certain online ordering companies that mess customers around. I just like honest ones that just want to do genuine business.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:34 PM   #7

I bought my 8800 from Abes of Maine.
I submitted mu order on Jan 6th, got email on 7th to call them to confirm which I did. Monday, Jan 10th, received shipping info. Received it on Friday.
Brand new. Perfect
Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:06 PM   #8

Irvine wrote:
Quote:
I bought my 8800 from Abes of Maine.
I submitted mu order on Jan 6th, got email on 7th to call them to confirm which I did. Monday, Jan 10th, received shipping info. Received it on Friday.
Brand new. Perfect
Interesting. Folks should take a look at the horror stories from this place on epinions.

http://www.epinions.com/webs-Web_Ser...splay_~reviews
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:27 PM   #9

Before I bought I read those reviews:
http://dpreview-cnet.com.com/4011-5_...l?tag=mlpmerch

So I decided it was OK. I ordered it and than I found other reviews like the one you showed. So believe I second guessed myself quite a few times for wanting to save 100 bucks and not buying from more reputable place.
But it turned out OK and now I am learning my new camera.
Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:48 PM   #10

Irvine wrote:
Quote:
Before I bought I read those reviews:
http://dpreview-cnet.com.com/4011-5_...l?tag=mlpmerch

So I decided it was OK. I ordered it and than I found other reviews like the one you showed. So believe I second guessed myself quite a few times for wanting to save 100 bucks and not buying from more reputable place.
But it turned out OK and now I am learning my new camera.
I'm really glad that your purchase worked for you, that's for sure. In the web-link you gave above, there doesn't seem to be any secondary link that shows us the reviews. All I can see there is an 'excellent' rating...but there's no basis for it at all since there's no indication of the number of reviewers or their reviews. Otherwise, if the only reviewer is actually dpreview itself...then that's kind of ridiculous really. I actually believe those customers that reviewed abe of maine in epinions....the many customers.