Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:43 AM   #11

It's probably the "vibration reduction" kicking in. When mounted on a tripod, you don't here anything because it probably does not need it. When hand held, that's when you hear something. I don't have a CP8800 (yet), just an opinion.

Dinky
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:06 AM   #12

I tested your theory about VR and turned it off and still heard the noise. I really don't care and it is normal so no big deal.
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:37 PM   #13

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=skes
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:20 PM   #14

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
interesting how 1 camera has no noise, and the rest do.
Perhaps Nikon has made a production run change. All I can tell you is that mine makes no noise. I received the camera less than three weeks ago.
K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:32 AM   #15

yah...maybe you got the revised version. Pretty interesting how nikon just keeps telling their customers that the sound on the noisy cameras is normal, but they don't tell anybody what the sound is actually due to.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:17 AM   #16

Kenny: The camera is not noisy. You need to be in a quiet room and putyour ear up to the lens barrel to hear a fan or something inside. It's barely audible with your ear against the camera. Many users have reported to hear this noise and Nikon has said that this in part of the normal operation. I am extremely skeptical that there is one person who doesn't hear it. He may have bad hearing..........It doesn't really matter and is not an issue with this camera in any way! It takes beautiful pics.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:21 AM   #17

Thanks trader. What I meant by 'noisy' was the cameras that had this very faint noise when you put your ear right up close to it when you're in a very quiet place. Even though nikon says it's 'normal' ..ie normal operation, I'd like to know what that sound is due to.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:19 PM   #18

Could just be one person's subnormal hearing. I've got some damage that prevents me from hearing certain frequencies unless they are pretty loud.
mike65401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:01 AM   #19

Based on this thread, I contacted Nikon Support UK again about this noise.

I first queried it with them a couple of months ago and was advised to switch to Single Autofocus and the noise would stop.

This of course didn't happen so initially they told me to return my 8800 to trace a possible fault. Later they revised this and suggested the noise was normal.

This time I tried to pin them down and asked if they knew specifically what was actually making this noise?

They replied that it was "the internal mechanism of the camera".

In other words they are as baffled as we are.

One would have thought that after the countless queries they must have received about this noise, they would look into it in more detail and come up with some answers.
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:46 PM   #20

Hi,

You'd need to get an engineer on the phone who understands the guts of the 8800. I wouldn't worry about the noise....Just enjoy the camera.