Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:59 PM   #11

Hi Kenneth...glad to hear from you again !

I just did a little experiment with my 8800. I set it back to 5MP and "Norm" and took a few shots. The write timewas about a second or less. I wonder if the endless criticism of this camera's write times is not fair. Perhaps that is the penalty for moving up in MP's ? If the Coolpix set at 8MP Extra is compared to a 5MP camera, perhaps the longer time is just physics and not a fault ? I am still enjoying being able to crop and enlarge my shots well beyond my prior abilities. AndI see a poststating Nikon should not havereleased the camera as it is faulty...well, I just don't think it is. It may not be the best at everything, but I think it was worth my money and I'm happy.

It was 18C near here the other day ! 8C and monsoon rains today. I just can't keep a decent Kenny Rogers hairstyle with all this humidity !

Steve :shock:
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:43 PM   #12

Hey scubb....one of the best deals about someone getting the camera you'd like is that even tho I don't have one I still get the hot poo...ooops...on how it works, etc. As I said, to see a little movement in the right direction, K/M bringing out a couple new models...makes me feel good. I know I can still have fun with the old 7i until a few more 8800 type models come out. I envy you being able to get out and about where you are. It isn't so much the cold cold cold that keeps me in here, it's just so unbelievably ugly, no color except brown, and grey unless of course you switch around, then you get grey and brown. No wonder we canuckskis head south in droves. I went out and about the other day to see if I could scout out anything alive with some color, but no dice. (Only green and blue I saw was a billboard advert for a southern vac. that doesn't count) Good news is that January is on the way out. I have a short trip to Victoria next week, maybe some color to shoot there this time of year...getting back to cameras, I is curious to know when Sony will peek it's head out of the closet, they should be ripe for another forray into the 8MP fray. Right, well I'm off in a cloud of small rocks and road salt to see if there's anything left not frozen to death, for me to take a picture of. Best regards,

KennethD

(Now where the H... did I put my snowshoezz...)
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:48 PM   #13

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
Someone tell me what this "style background colour" thing is that crops up in my posts ?

Dazed and Confused. (Led Zeppelin)

Scub
It seems to crop up now & again when replying to post; it's a facet of the HTML code used to present this page.

The best way to avoid it is to edit the post and delete the redundant text.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:03 PM   #14

Hi there Vitiris ! I sometimes don't read long posts, but I did yours. AndI must say I enjoyed it ! Quite refreshing to hear opinions from someone with experience from both cameras. I agree with your thoughts on the Nikon. I've read far too many reports full of nit picky faults. Most of my 8800 shots are...well, brilliant ! The colour and contrast are far beyond any other digital photos I've seen. I find this a hard thing to express, as you note. I've also been a little flustered posting reduced file pics on this site that just don't do justice to the original.

I've been canoeing in the rain on the small river behind our house. My wife shot some pics of me with our Kodak 3MP. They were OK. Yesterday, she appeared with my (oops,our) Coolpix , made me worried she would slip down the bank (hey...my NEW camera) and shot a few. Later, on my return, she commented on how much sharper and brighter the 8800 pics were. And she has zero interest in cameras. So I think the 8800 can stand alone in it's obvious talent...even to those not so critical as us "keeners".

Thanks for posting your views. I'll look forward to more. You have a unique style !

Steve
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:05 PM   #15

Hi Catbells. Thanks for answering my question. I now feel stupid as I must admit I'd never thought to Edit my posts ! And all those spelling boobs ! I even wrote "Hong Cong" yesterday...but that was after 2 homebrews.

Scub
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:18 PM   #16

Scubbler...I am in a quandary :-?

Foreign or domestic...

Should I, a resident of the USA, befortunate enoughto sample your home brew (as you mentioned in your previous post on this thread)...would it be a foreign or domestic brew to this inbiber??? :?

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:40 PM   #17

Hi Scubbler. Thanks for the comments. I thought about posting sample pictures, but like you said, the limited size of posting here takes away from the brilliance of the images. Once I get around to it, I'll post links to full images. I just need to take more (and better photogenic stuff), then I'll be happy to post pictures. All I need is time I guess. Once I fool around with my new flash, I'll definitely post some of those too.
vitiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:28 PM   #18

Scubbler wrote:

If the Coolpix set at 8MP Extra is compared to a 5MP camera, perhaps the longer time is just physics and not a fault ?

A very good point. Writing a 4-5MB file IS going to take longer. Duh.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:09 PM   #19

Hi Digcamfan. I had to ponder my homebrew situation. Our water comes out of Harrison Lake, which is fed by glaciers and snow on the adjacent Coast Mountains. But a lot of our moisture comes up on the "Pineapple Express" from out in the Pacific and over Hawaii. So I guess one could say I make an international brew ! Especially as the beer kits I buy are labelled "Canadian Adventure " (beer thrills ?), butare made in England. Whatever, it's cheap, has no chemicals or preservatives and is mine ! There are always several hundred bottles awaiting your visit. We camp a lot on the Washington Coast and I've been known to buy the odd case of incredibly cheap, but watery, A-merican suds.

The Scubbler
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:34 AM   #20

Hi Vitiris. Don't be shy to post some pics. This site NOW seems inhabited by positive and appreciative people. It's hard to get nice colour at this ( winter) time ( Carlitin excepted), but I always enjoy a shot of your home town etc. Take the plunge. it only gets easier.

I have posted shots just to demonstate a point. They don't have to be world class. And there's nothing more disappointing than logging in and seeing nothing new.

Scub ( becoming a Steve's Junkie)