Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:18 PM   #1

So I've decided on the 8800 (upgrade to my A1 - and need something to use when it is in the shop) and found a place to buy it online - but can't find a Nikon UV filter for it. I understand it is a proprietary size/thread - where is a good reliable decently-priced site where I can get a UV filter (I'm always paranoid to own a camera without a filter on the lens)?
Thanks in advance for any help.
cdarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:26 PM   #2

Sorry - looks like a posted prematurely. After a Google search on the part number I found B&H Photo has them along with a few other. None of the real discounters seam too though.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:44 PM   #3

Spoke too soon again - seems to be out of stock everywhere in the US. Ritz doesn't seem to carry it. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:28 PM   #4

:lol:The Nikon filters are an odd size and expensive..they are just coming onto the market and are in few stores.Many8800 owners are getting an adaptor and using the standard 58mm filters. I just ordered the adaptor and filters. You can get the adaptorfrom nextphoto.net and the filters 58mm, which are standard, from many sources..I purchased them from wolfcamera.com.. the Quantary brand.
Coalminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:27 AM   #5

I've had my 8800 for 2 months now and got fed up waiting for a lens hood and filters. I ordered the lens hood from a Honk Kong dude on e bay last week. He said it should be here in a week or so. It includes a lens hood, adapter and cap. The adapter ( as I understand) will accept 62mm filters and the hood will attach over that. If it works out, I think it is the best solution. Off brand filters are much cheaper than Nikon's. I have found the camera needs a hood, as any side light seems to enter the picture. The e bay seller has a good feedback reputation. The price was about the same as Canadian retail. Look on e bay if you are interested, as I believe he continuously sells them.

Steve

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback! I'll have to check Ebay (especially for the hood). I can't believe how much Nikon charges for the hood - it is basically molded plastic. This hurts, especially since the hood was included with the price of the camera when I bought my Minolta A1.