Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:36 PM   #11
hai

Hi, I just order from infinitiphoto.com. However, I have not received any response from the dealer. How could I cancel the order because it seems like this dealer is not reliable. I called them but them but no one answer. Do you think they will charge you without shipping.

hai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:55 PM   #12

I purchased my 8800directly from Nikon (through an employee accommodation for the company that I work for) and it was $630 - I cannot think that someone will sell a brand new in the box, with all standard accessories included under full manufacturers warranty - camera for less then the manufacturer would sell it. In fact the cost (not retail price) for this unit at the company that I work for is more than what I paid Nikon for the camera. My hunch is that this shop :evil:is not showing you the fine print.

-Brd_Hunter71

St. Paul, MN
brd_hunter71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:23 PM   #13

Classic Bait and switch tactic over there. Do not buy from them. They advertise the canon sd400 for $339. Then I get the email to call them to confirm my order. Right from the start the salesman asks me, what kind of memory card will I need with my order. So I tell him, I just want the 16mb that comes with the factory sealed box. He then informs me that the $339 only includes the camera, and that's it. I said are you seperating the camera from the factory box? He replies, "No, 90% of camera manufacturers supply 2 types of kits, 1 with just the camera, and the other with the camera and all the factory accessories" If I want that it will be $379 plus $26 for ground shipping. I then accused him of a bait and switch tactic and he says, "what am I switching, aren't I still offering you the same camera? I then told him, why isn't this factory box not offered on the website, and then he tells me that he doesn't have access to the web. At this point I ask him to cancel my order, he gets mad and hangs up. I was so mad that I had to join this forum and warn everyone. DO NOT BUY FROM INFINITIPHOTO.COM!!! THEY ARE RUDE AND WILL TRY TO SCAM YOU!!! please spread the word.
jnkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 1:29 PM   #14

I found that some stores change extra for the charger even though it comes with the camera. Somes stores also charge for warranties and extra on shipping. Personally, I bought mine from DBuys for $600.00 after the rebate. I bought a HDTV from them also... I trust DBuys...
vrayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 12:25 PM   #15

I just ordered my 8800 from Abes of Maine (in Brooklyn - go figure??)

I'll post later any pro's or con's from this dealer after I receive the camera.

Anybody else have experience with "Abe's" ?

Bob
northpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:43 AM   #16

I also ordered from Abe's of Maine. Their price was excellent and I was able to order a backup battery at the same time (which seem to be hard to find at some of the online stores selling the 8800 cheap). I ordered on the phone to make sure they tried to send it out the same day. They promised me they would, but then there was some sort of little miscommunication problem and it didn't go out the same day. I had chosen 2-day shipping and promptly got an order confirm #, but didn't get the tracking # as expected a few hours later.

I called the next day to check on it (was under a super-tight deadline to get the camera) and they told me it would go out that night and they'd bump it up to overnight to make up the time without charging me. I was paranoid that they weren't telling me the truth about whether it was in stock. In the end they assured me it would go out, particularly because I had chosen a faster shipping option which meant that it was a priority.

So in the end I got it on time and at a great price, and everyone I dealt with was very professional. Just stay on top of them, it seems they have a large staff and can cross communications as a result. And if you have the extra dough, choose a faster shipping option as it seems to bump up the order status. One note, they do try to upsell quite a bit, but I already planned to buy the extra battery so I let the sales person feel they'd upselled me on that, and just had to firmly say no to the rest.
niihaltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:10 AM   #17

Re: My Coolpix 8800 from Abe's of Maine.

The camera came as advertised with no supprises. I did let them sell me a 5 year warrantee. I was a bit uneasy about the complexities of the image stablization mechanism's long term reliability. Probably $100 down the tube, never know?

This was my 1st order with Abe's and would recommend them withthis limited experience.

The $100 rebate is a bit convoluted? I don't have a warm feeling here. The Nikon rebate tracking website showed they hadn't received my request. An email got a response from Nikon indicated they don't start tracking rebates until 4-6 weeks after receiving the request. By that time the June 30th deadline window shuts, How do I know they ever got it in time?

Just have to trust Nikon I guess!

northpalm is offline   Reply With Quote