Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 24, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1

While looking for a Nikon Coolpix 8800 I´ve found the lowest price at InfinitiPhoto.com. It´s remarkably lower than all the others ever seen - about $ 570! Do I dare buying from InfintiPhoto?

My name is Gunnar from Sweden
gb4705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:48 PM   #2

That's an amazing price! - but I would be careful since you don't see them rated on the usual site(resellerratings.com, pricegrabber.com).

What makes me nervous about them is you click on the site and click "Package contents" and it doesn't list anything. They may be one of the those places that remover everything else except the camera from the box - e.g. you buy the camera for $570 but then need to buy the battery and charger for $120 and you are close to the original price. Also, could be refurbished or something (doesn't say "US Warranty - doesn't necessarily matter to you but to me this is a red flag that it may not be a "new" camera). I've also heard horry stories of orders that take months to get filled (after prices drop anyway). If you want to chance it to save some money I'd call and find out if it is in the original packaging and if they have the order in stock to ship and then rely on credit card protection if the deal goes bad (although I don't know how this works from out of country). Also, ask if they won't charge your card until they ship the item.
I've heard horry stories - especially in relation to some of the small Brooklyn dealers which is what this appears to be.
cdarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:58 AM   #3

I bought my 8800 two weeks ago for 723.00 from buydig.com

Their service was terrific, I received the camera in less than 72 hours with absolutely

no problems. 570 sounds too low.
kenoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:54 AM   #4

Several recent buys--including my 8800--at B & H photo in NYC have me happy with them. Possibly not th elowest price, but fast and reliable.
bowhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:20 PM   #5

First, its all gray market...they will not tell you that. They will offer "packages" which are really indivdual items over priced...for example, they sell a Nikon lithium battery for $199...this same battery sells for $49 elsewhere. AND BEWARE, THEY WILL NOT CANCEL YOUR ORDER WITHOUT A RECHARGING FEE, and that could cost upwards of $80. They will also not provide you with a written email regarding your purchase, it all must be done on the phone. Essentially, you are baited and switched. AVOID THEM!
TruthbeTold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 8:22 PM   #6

I purchased an 8800 from Butterfly Photo this week w/o any prob's. I placed the order on Sunday night and rec'd it on Wednesday (with the standard ground delivery.)

It's a USA model w/ all the accessories in the box. They did try to sell me memory cards and extended warranty on the phone, but I told them just to ship the camera.

I highly recommend them.

Also, I went to BestBuy today to get a CF card. They had the 1GB Sandisk Ultra II on sale for $89 (w/ mail in rebate.)
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:15 PM   #7

originally ordered mine from digitalliquidators, then canceled before it got processed, thanks to 100's of bad reviews that I came across. I then ordered it at buydig.com and was pleased with the service. now I just have to figure out how to use this thing, this is my first non-point and shoot camera.
post infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:33 PM   #8

I highly recommend BuyDig.com. I ordered it late last Saturday PM and received it on Tuesday. It was the lowest price available at the time.

edit: I had it shipped to a US address, not Israel. Too much taxes to have it sent here. Someone will be delivering it by hand in a couple of weeks. :-)

CraigD

CraigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:50 AM   #9

The best price I found was $519-$100 rebate = $419 here ;

http://www.usaphotonation.com/produc...oduct_id=11554

but I was too "chicken" to order from them. :-)

Anyone else here have the guts to try?

Just kidding. Go with BuyDig.com

Mike
Mike_61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:40 PM   #10

check out 42ndstphoto.com. $688 + shipping. I bought from them before. Looking to by the 8800 today as well. Other price has been B&H @ $889 and beachcamera @ $769. Who really knows. I'm looking into the 8800 for the 8MP and 10zoom. Looked at the Panasonic z20, but keep going back to the 8800. I want to be able to print bigger pixs at good quality.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote