Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 15, 2002, 4:14 PM   #1

Default Bernie's 72mm Adapter, filter vs lens flare/glare

:?: since the Bernie's 72mm adapter allows the 5700 to zoom to it's full length without bumping into the filter attached to the end of it,
i'm concerned about any resulting lens flare/extraneous light that result from the filter not having a lens hood. will a lens hood fit on top of the filter and what size will fit without vignetting? any recommendations? :?:
thnx...
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2002, 12:12 PM   #2

You can find 72mm Rubber Lens Hood at many camera stores.
Anyway.... in wide angle mode, Bernies adapter act like a hood.

Andreas ~ aurora5000
aurora5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 5:06 PM   #3

Default Re: Bernie's 72mm Adapter, filter vs lens flare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws
since the Bernie's 72mm adapter allows the 5700 to zoom to it's full length without bumping into the filter attached to the end of it,
i'm concerned about any resulting lens flare that result from the filter not having a lens hood. will a lens hood fit on top of the filter and what size? any recommendations?
thnx...
Yup, my experience, on some occasion, the flare is there. I don't know if this is from my cheapo uv filter, or it needs lens hood. Haven't tried the hood though.
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 6:22 AM   #4

Lens Flare occur when you point the lens directly to the sun, but I thought it's beautiful effect, especially if you use star filter.

Sure you can attach 72mm rubber/metal lens hood in front of the UV/Polarizer ring filter.

Or if you want to use variations filters you can use Cokin Filters System P + 72mm Cokin Ring Adapter and Cokin Modular Hood.

Check out my site:
http://www.pbase/aurora5000/

aurora5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora5000
Lens Flare occur when you point the lens directly to the sun, but I thought it's beautiful effect, especially if you use star filter.

Sure you can attach 72mm rubber/metal lens hood in front of the UV/Polarizer ring filter.

Or if you want to use variations filters you can use Cokin Filters System P + 72mm Cokin Ring Adapter and Cokin Modular Hood.

Check out my site:
http://www.pbase/aurora5000/

thnx...but i'm not into lens flares. to me, they're a distracting aberation.

as for the square cokin filters, it doesn't resolve the glare problem. any reflective surface that hangs out by itself at the end of a lens tends to collect, reflect, or diffuse extraneous light. any light, other than the light from the subject, that hits that surface tends to give pics a washed look since it gets measured by the meter along with the subject light. i'm looking for a lens hood solution. the question being as to what size lens hood will work with 72mm filters at the end of a Bernie adapter that will allow the lens to go from wide angle to full telephoto without causing any vignetting ? :?:
Old Nov 29, 2002, 2:31 PM   #6

Default At least a 72mm Hood!

Well, at the very least, a 72mm hood should do the trick. At full telephoto, the hood is a non-issue. At wide-angles, if the Bernie's UR-E8 to 72mm adapter isn't causing vignetting, then chances are small that a collapsible rubber hood won't be causing vignetting either.
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 12:01 AM   #7

I bought the 72 mm B+W rubber lens hood ... it is collapable for wide angle and extends out for telephoto. I do not get any vingnetting with a 72 mm Hoya SMC UV filter, but when I stack a polorizer on top I do get a little at full wide angle.
pbs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbs12345
I bought the 72 mm B+W rubber lens hood ... it is collapable for wide angle and extends out for telephoto. I do not get any vingnetting with a 72 mm Hoya SMC UV filter, but when I stack a polorizer on top I do get a little at full wide angle.
does the polarizer sit inside the B+W lens hood or btwn the lens and the lens hood? :?

is there any vignetting with the polarizer btwn the lens and the lens hood arrangement? :?:

thnx....
Old Dec 4, 2002, 7:00 PM   #9

I don't think you have to worry about a 72mm lens hood on extra filters as long as the hood is not designed for a telephoto lens. Lens hood have varying degrees of angle depending on their intended lens.
As an example I have a hood for a 28mm lens that is shaped like a saucer and one for a 135mm lens that is shaped like a long cup.
On my 5700, I use a 52mm adapter , multiple filters and a rubber hood which is designed for a standard 35mm focal length lens with no problems at max wide angle setting of camera. I do get slight corner vignetting with a 50mm hood.
The best advise is : take your camera to a camera shop and try the lenhoods with your camera at maximum wide angle setting.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twcoffey
I don't think you have to worry about a 72mm lens hood on extra filters as long as the hood is not designed for a telephoto lens. Lens hood have varying degrees of angle depending on their intended lens.
As an example I have a hood for a 28mm lens that is shaped like a saucer and one for a 135mm lens that is shaped like a long cup.
On my 5700, I use a 52mm adapter , multiple filters and a rubber hood which is designed for a standard 35mm focal length lens with no problems at max wide angle setting of camera. I do get slight corner vignetting with a 50mm hood.
The best advise is : take your camera to a camera shop and try the lenhoods with your camera at maximum wide angle setting.
great....finally, someone with a 52mm adapter solution.
i'm wavering back and forth btwn the 72mm and the 52mm solution to see what works best. i guess i should've rephrased the original question to include a 52mm filter solution.

do you find the 52mm filter solution has any problems in wideangle mode like having to take the filter off when you retract the lens back to shut it down or in wide angle mode? i have a bunch of 52mm filters i'd like to carry over from my old system.