Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:20 PM   #11

my thinking is this......

my 3mp, f1.8, 35-105mmolympus c-3040 is four year old technology...and has never not focused in all lighting conditions...oh...there have been times it took a second or two...but in that rare 1% of the time if the pic didn't come out it was me moving the camera...and I don't want to go backwards in technology...i would expect a camera that retails for 799 to be as good as that

just my thinking
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:56 PM   #12

can someone tell me exactly what is "shined" on the people with the AF Assist lamp? when you say "blasts red light" are they bathed in red light like they are under ared lamp? I have never owned a camera with one...can you disable it?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP8800/CP88A.HTM (to see the full review)
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:02 AM   #13

gregg wrote:
Quote:
can someone tell me exactly what is "shined" on the people with the AF Assist lamp? when you say "blasts red light" are they bathed in red light like they are under ared lamp? I have never owned a camera with one...can you disable it?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP8800/CP88A.HTM (to see the full review)

The autofocus assist lamp is just that - a red light that comes from right beside the lens and shoots at the subject for a second to help the camera try to focus. I know my kids do not like this. They say it's bright and annoying (like the flash). It's not as bright as the flash (not even near) - it just a low-emitting light, but the 8800 seems to use it for almost every indoor shot. Your subject isn't exactly bathed in the light like a hot lamp, but I sould say that it lights a noticable area of your subject up. That may not help you on exactly what it is I guess, but I don't know how to explain it. If you do much indoor photography, I can see where this assist lamp can be a nuisance. Plus, onthe 8800, you can not turn it off. It uses it whenever it feels the need. To add to the low-light condition of the 8800, I will agree with most everyone that it has to hunt to auto-focus. It takes a couple of seconds to try and focus and there are many times that it can't, even in a room with a light on. I don't quite understand it. I used to havethe FZ20 and it did a little better job on the auto focus (plus you can turn the AF assist lamp off on that one); however, the 8800 produces more eye-pleasing pictures (to me at least). The FZ20 was a little dull to me (just to me though!)

Bottom line: If you do wedding photography or any other indoor photography (professionally or asa little side job or whatever), I probably would not get the 8800 because you might be hard pressed to get good shots at just the right moments. It's not the fastest in the world. Otherwise, if your like me (and just a newbie at this stuff) and you don't mind the wait for indoor shots, then this camera is great. The IS is wonderful - that was actually one of the reasons I was excited about this camera (and the FZ20 for that matter). I figured I will usually just use my camera on vacation and birthday parties, Christmas, etc. so I absolutely love the camera (zoom for outdoors is wonderful). I'm going to Vegas in a couple of weeks and that will be my first true test for this camera (outdoors anyway). I live in a blah city so no spectacular scenery around here to shoot. Good luck with your choice, if there is a camera store around you that has the 8800, I would definitely go try it out. Unfortunately, not many carry it (unless you live in a big city).
vitiris is offline   Reply With Quote