Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:27 PM   #1

Finally managed to get a lens hood...after 2 months ! It came from Hong Kong (e bay) and was here in 4 days. I'm glad I didn't buy the 8800 filters as you can't use them with this hood. The adapter takes 67mm filters. The hood is held on by the screw on the side, and can be reversed over the lens barrel when stored, although the instructions say it can't. It is certainly an odd looking affair..something between a rude medical device and a plastic floral arrangement.

Attached Images

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:28 PM   #2

3 Parts
Attached Images

Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:42 AM   #3

H Steve,

You are right it does look a bit odd, but if it serves the purpose than that is ok. How much did it cost you? if I may ask.

Is that the only attachment you have bought so far?

I am still straggling with the financing of the 8800 and I hope that it goes somewhere nearer to what I can afford before March. I can't wait to get one now, ever since I tried it out.

Jessops had a second hand one in their window last Saturday for about £470, but I don't think I would trust a second hand one after all I have read on here.

Keep up the photographs, they are very good.

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:53 AM   #4

Hi Steve

Your new Lens Hood and Adapter is quite an arrangement... very impressive.

I have a 58mm Nextphoto Adapter on my 8800 and was wondering if a plain generic screw-in rubber hood might also do the job.

They are collapsible and can be folded down to avoid vignetting at wide angles but lack the scalloped effect as your Nikon version.

I use 58mm filters so this might be the way to go.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:27 PM   #5

Bruce....I too wonder if a rubber hood wouldn't be just as good. I hadn't anticipated the size of this thing. I can just get the camera in my case with the hood reversed, but it's tight. I have no idea why there are four petals. It looks like it should do something, but I can't imagine what. It does have a wee door on the bottom to allow turning of a polarizer filter. I think it was $61 US on e bay. It arrived here in Canada for roughly what the list is here.... if they had them, that is !

Angie. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the used 8800 if it's from a reputable dealer who will take it back if it's no good. Is the Nikon warranty transferable ? I paid $1169 Cdn. for mine in November and the price is still the same, soI doubt it will change much soon.

I haven't bought anything else for it as there hasn't been anything to buy ! I will look for a skylight 67mm filter just as a lens protector. I know some out there consider that a waste..but I'm a little rough on cameras. I filled a perfectly good Nikon F2 with orange juice, lost a small Nikon SLR of forgotten nomenclature off my motorbike and fried a Nikkormat FTN. I'm not a clutz, but do a lot of active stiff that isn't camera kind.

Oh...I did buy a really nice Lowepro case that even has a built in rain cover. It's pretty rugged and may need to be!

Steve
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:34 PM   #6

Hey Angie...here's a silly pic JUST FOR YOU ! My wife gets up before me most mornings and the dudes sneak up for a few winks with their King ! Kodak pic, don't slam my 8800 for this one !

Steve
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:28 AM   #7

Hi Steve,

I loved the picture, you and the dogs look sooo comfortable:-).

My cat Lucy always used to sleep on my bed too, you were safe from her claws as long as you didn't stick hands or feet out. Of course your dogs don't do things like that, they look really friendly:-).

Thanks for posting the picture.

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:44 AM   #8

I think maybe the idea aboutgaps between the petals is to help stopvignetting.

skes
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:36 AM   #9

Steve

How does your new hood work in relation to the built-in Speedlight?

To avoid blind spots I'm thinking that might be the reason behind the scalloped edges if the hood only locks in one position.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote