Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:15 PM   #1

When the light stops blinking on the MH-56 charger, battery is not fully charged, leave your battery in for upto an hour longer, you'll get more shots shot. This 'fault' is not unique to the 8800 charger either, I also get more shots with my Kyocera's incamera charger left for an extra hour after light goes out, in fact it is recommended in the Kmanual. And as you may already know, there are no 'memory' problems with Li-On as we found in NiMh and NiCad so top up is ok no need to fully discharge.

My question to you is this; When you leave the 8800 empty of battery to recharge it, I don't do this often as I have 2 battteries, but anyway, the first time I did that I thought I would lose my settings but no. I guess it stores them on the card? or a cmos? Also, when8800 formats a Card, it still retains your chosen Welcome picture, what else does it retain I wonder. Fab. camera.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:40 PM   #2

In the manual pg 15 -
Quote:
The Clock Battery
When the main battery is installed or an AC adapter is connected, the clock battery will
charge in about 10 hours. When fully charged, the clock battery can provide several
days of backup power. The clock may be reset when the battery runs low; when the
battery is exhausted, the DATE menu is displayed automatically.
As far as I can gather, the 'clock' battery would be the in camera cmos battery and as such it will keep pretty much all settings that would also be kept from switching the camera off and then back on again.

Following the above then, you've got a good bit of time to change batteries without worrying about losing all your settings.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:53 PM   #3

Nice one JacobG I kind of thought this may be the case, how did i miss that in the manual, you really got to glean that book, eh, we're lucky to have a single language book rather than pdf or multilingual briezeblocks. Still nice to have two batteries though.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:16 AM   #4

xyzzy wrote:
Quote:
And as you may already know, there are no 'memory' problems with Li-On as we found in NiMh and NiCad so top up is ok no need to fully discharge.
its true that there a no memory problems but liion batteries still have a limited number of cycles , the number of times you can recharge before its looses capacity. for li ion its pretty low ( a few hundred , maybe a thousand ) so the more you get out of each charge the better. although its true that that u shouldnt totally discharge cause that damages the battery , you shouldnt just top it off all the time ... its best to charge only when 3/4 empty.
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 1:36 PM   #5

Here's an intersting link on lithium battery life:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote