Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:27 PM   #1

I've read here several times that the Nikon 8800 isn't a good low light camera. Maybe this picture help clear up some postings or maybe it will just confirm them. This picture was taken at midnight, no other lights on. The camera was set on full auto, no zoom, and I used the self timer. The camera was about 4 feet away from the candle. The flame is blurry due to the long shutter time. I'm no expert at all but I don't think the picture is all that bad for auto. The only thing I did in Photo Shop was reduce the image size to get to post here (3 times, each time smaller).

For the experts out there, does this picture tell you anything? Is there a better way to test for low light? Any comments welcome.
Attached Images

tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:55 PM   #2

I'd like to see a sports shot under moonlight in which the shutter speed is fast enough to completely freeze the action, there is almost no noise at full resolution, and the sky is at least a moderate shade of blue, not black.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:33 PM   #3

Well... the pic is too small.. it's hard to say anything...

A test for low-light is to take some action shot in low-light. See if you can capture some animal or some person or whatever moving in the night.

Another test is to take a normal pic (say a building or cityscape) and see how that turns out. Typically, you would have to boost ISO and that produces a ton of noise.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:42 PM   #4

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to see a sports shot under moonlight in which the shutter speed is fast enough to completely freeze the action, there is almost no noise at full resolution, and the sky is at least a moderate shade of blue, not black.
I trust you're kidding.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:45 PM   #5

I'm not sure what the others are getting at. Two issues w/ low-light photography (well, three, including camera shake, but you either have IS, or use a tripod). Anyway:

1) AF performance (your 8800 appears to have achieved accurate focus lock)

2) noise (either as a result of higher ISO settings or long shutters. The pic you attached is too small to evaluate noise. If you have a tripod use it, even if youhave IS - I would never opt for a faster shutter and hgher ISO over a longer shutter and lower ISO- ever).

Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:03 PM   #6

I can't be bothered with a bunch of pseudo intellectual, quasi technological analysis of your shot. It worked ! I can see it ! The camera did what a lot of people keep on saying it can't.

Thanks for posting it. I was directed, after my first attempts at posting, to download from Microsofts Powerpoint Toys site, a resizing tool for Windows XP. I just highlight a picture, right click and select the smaller format and it makes a reduced size copy that seems perfect for this site.

The 8800 RULES !!! I personally don't worry about it's low light abilities as I am not nocturnal. It works very well in daylight. But it's interesting to see pics such as yours.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 2:23 PM   #7

I'll apologize..but I'm not sure why. My comments were made regarding my own lack of intelligence and technical expertise...not a slur against your post.I realize my post could be read the way you interpret it, and that is a mistake on my part.

And you say I know everything...well I guess this is proof I don't.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 4:18 PM   #8

I apologize, long week (that's not an excuse). Sorry.