Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:45 PM   #1

It was bloody windy out and I haven't got any string or similar to hold the snowdrop in place or shield it from the wind so this was the best I could get unforetunately. Thought it was about time I shared a bit with you guys though as I haven't done so in a while.
Attached Images

JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 1:55 AM   #2

Hi Jakob,

What a lovely sign of spring, thank you for sending it.

Here in England the weather is miserable but the crocus and daffodils are out already, trying to tell me that spring is coming.

If we get a ray of sunshine today I 'll join you with a photo, otherwise I'll get some out from last year, where again all the plants in my front garden started far too early.

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:48 AM   #3

That looks nice ! What is the background ? I always just shoot asI see flowers, complete with some ugly backgrounds ! Do you hold a coloured card behind them ?

I think I need to try something new.....I have a bunch of snowdrops blooming in my yard.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:32 AM   #4

Sorry for the belated reply Steve. I do shoot some of my shots with backgrounds, specifically using a white or black piece of foam board, but card would work equally well, which then allows you easily to select the background and change it, e.g. to a gradient, or something even more cool.
I'll post up a thread on using FCB (Foam Core Board) when I get a spare moment.

As for this particular shot, no it wasn't this time.
I've included a shot of where the snowdrop shot was taken (this particular shot not from the 8800). This should make the background clear to you Steve. It's all in the lens, composition, and aperture. You probably know quite a bit of this already, but for those wondering;

For this particular shot I used the 6t close up lens which REALLY cuts down dof, and simply placed myself at an appropriate angle. I have other shots where the background is much more dark all the way through because I lowered the camera and pointed more upwards at the shot.

Using flash will also cut down the amount of background clutter over what you have focused.

Otherwise, the simplest and most effective methods are zooming in more towards the tele end, getting closer to the subject your are photographing and using a larger aperture (f2.8 at the wide angle, f5.2 at the tele end) which will all cut down the amount of the image being in focus.
Attached Images

JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote