Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 20, 2002, 9:32 PM   #1

Default Please Help with low lighting Problem

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5000. My home is not very well lit. And my pictures are dark. I am not sure what to do or what settings to use to compensate for the low lighting in my home. I would appreciate any help you could offer. I am sorta new to digitals!
Thanks!
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2002, 9:42 PM   #2

Are you sure the flash is on?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 9:53 PM   #3

Default Nikon 5000 low lighting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCan
Are you sure the flash is on?
Yes the flash is on. I am a novice, so I am sure it is me, and there is a setting that needs to be adjusted, I just don't know where to start.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:09 PM   #4

Hum...
A "good start" may be puting everything in auto, you should see a P ( programed exposure) unstead of a M ( manual) , may be the cam was left at manual mode last time ? just a guess since I don't know that cam.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 6:39 AM   #5

I agree with KCan... try using Automatic Mode, if you are in user setting #1, #2 or #3, use P (Auto Prog. Mode) then
goto Set-Up2 -> Speedlight Opt. - > Variable Power.
The value should be 0 (zero), or if you want to add more power, set to +2.0
aurora5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora5000
I agree with KCan... try using Automatic Mode, if you are in user setting #1, #2 or #3, use P (Auto Prog. Mode) then
goto Set-Up2 -> Speedlight Opt. - > Variable Power.
The value should be 0 (zero), or if you want to add more power, set to +2.0
Wow.... Thank you so much for the info!!! It worked!! I am very intimidated by this camera. I was beginning to think that I should have bought a more basic camera. If you have any other tips... I sure would appreciate it if you would share them with me.... such as more tips about low light and what size memory card would you suggest I get the one that came with the camera is only 32 m and can only hols a few pics at high resolution.
Once again thank you for the tip! You made my day!!!
Old Nov 21, 2002, 1:19 PM   #7

Wanda,
You are very welcome!
Myself, I am not the best person to advise you since I don’t own the CP5000. But in general, you should read the camera manual ( I know, it’s boring … ) and you will discover things , which leads you to ask more precise question , and sure many people here will be able to answer.
About CF cards, you should buy 128 or 256 Megs cards minimum ( smaller are not cost effective) , or if you shoot a lot, may be considering Microdrive ( it’s like a CF card but it's a small hardisk, twice thick (type 2) ) of 1 gig or more.
Don’t buy “no brand” cards unless you sure know they works good. “Brand name” cards are a bit more expensive, but usually have no compatibility problem.
( with my Minolta D7i and Nikon CP950, I had no problem with Nikon, Sandisk, Lexar, PNY cards up to date)

If you shoot often in low light, may be you should consider an external flash as well?

Have a Nice day